Converted my iTunes library....what now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FoxMcCloud, Mar 18, 2012.

1. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Hello

So the majority of my iTunes library is lossless, and it's fine for my mac stuff but I need my tracks in low complexity so I can put them on a USB for my car. I won't bore you with that process, I know it works, just not with my lossless stuff.

So I decided to convert my entire library to AAC. All went well, besides the fact that iTunes dumped all these files alongside their originals. Using a smart playlist, I've got all the new files isolated within iTunes. I just need them out of iTunes and moved to a folder on the desktop ready for transfer to a windows computer.

Any idea how I can do this easily? I don't fancy doing them one at a time.

Thank you

2. Xe89 macrumors regular

There are a number of alternatives. You should have created a new iTunes library, import your lossless songs, convert them to AAC and then erase all lossless songs and finally look up the remaining AAC songs in Finder and copy them to another location. Then just delete the library you created.

But now when you already converted the library maybe you can download a folder action application like Hazel and add the Finder location of the files and set up a rule that finds the converted songs and acts on them, like moving them to a new folder on the desktop.

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

You don't mention if you're Mac or PC. On the Mac, you can just select all the songs from your AAC playlist and drag them into a folder on your desktop. This will copy the files to that folder. Once that is done you can delete them out of your library and move to Trash. I imagine you can do the same on the PC. I suppose there could be a problem with doing too many files at once, I can't recall doing that with more than 1000 songs at once (never needed to), but if that does cause a problem, you can move them in chunks of at least 1000 at a time, probably more. Shouldn't take that long to do it in chunks of a couple thousand at a time.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

yes this works on windows too, I use it to copy music to my non apple players all the time, if it looks like it is crashing it isn't just let it do it's own thing.
    then when they are all copied just select all and 'delete' moving them to recycle bin/trash when it asks. (use the 'Kind' option to sort them in your main 'Music' section before you delete them)

5. FoxMcCloud thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried dragging to a folder, it hangs then the icon bounces back from Finder to iTunes.

Oh, Snow Leopard btw.

I'll try some of your suggestions, thank you.