Converted White iPhone Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Holmes093, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

So, I already have the backplate... and im going to buy the white front and do the install.

Question 1). Is the install really as hard as everyone makes out ? It just looks like a shed load of screws to me ?

Question 2). Are you guys using screenprotectors on the white iPhone ? I mean would you see a scratch on the white one as much as you would the black ?

Many Thanks

Holmes093

2. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

1) Its not really that hard if you follow a tutorial. I got it done in about an hour to 1.5 hours, but i've taken apart all the iphones so far, which leads me to say that this iphone is BY FAR the easiest to take apart..

2) I dont have a screen protector on mine right now, i found ONE scratch on the back of my iphone, but they are impossible to see really, the white does a great job at hiding them.

3. Holmes093 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Thanks for the info..... Just out of interest did you also convert your headphone jack and docking port ?

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Go to www.ifixit.com, print the guide, get some tape, and tape the screws down next to the picture on the guide labeling for colors. This way the screws will be right where you need them when you're putting it back together.

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Ditto! Thats what I did and have suggested all along. It will make your life so much easier.

I installed a Power Support front and back protector as soon as I was done with the swap. I was able to scratch the black one pretty easy and I don't for a minute think the white parts are as durable as the black ones are so protection was a must for me.

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I chose to NOT do the headphone and dock connector for this reason:

When doing the swap you will notice that apples ONLY warranty sticker in the phone is a tiny little circle over one of the screws... grab a needle head plier and lift it off, because if you ever need to have warranty services then its a much easier swap to just put the black parts back on and replace that sticker.

I went to cnn.cn and went to their iphone parts and they provide these videos which can be found on this page about the dissassembly and the reassembly:

LINK