Converting a Foregien Language to English

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aliasneo, Jun 26, 2007.

1. aliasneo macrumors newbie

hey guys

i have got this movie from japan which is suppose to be nice but i dont know the language its speaking, i'm not sure that its japanese either. is there a tool for mac that i can some how convert what the language they are speaking into english.

thanks

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm going to go out on a limb and say....no.

But someone might surprise me.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yes it's called a translator. ;)

No, there's no such computer program. Maybe in the future?

4. guifa macrumors 6502

If it has a separate subtitle track you could maybe rip the substitles to a text track, and run that through an electronic translator and reapply the track, but East Asian languages tend to not be translated very well by computers yet into Western European (and viceversa).

If it's just audio, maybe if you had a Japanese speech recognition programme, and again run the same process of making a text track and translating it. But your best bet would be to find a Japanese-speaking friend to watch it with it you.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Seeing how well text-to-text translators work in even just western-to-western languages, I think this might ultimately be futile.

6. guifa macrumors 6502

True, it was more of a theoretical approach than a working solution :p

Although, I'm honestly not sure if most translation engines really have been updated much beyond adding new words, etc. A lot of them that people commonly use as far as I know have not had their primary algorithm changed in years. Google has decided to start recoding translation engines, and from what I'm told, the Arabic<->English one is actually rather usable. Take for example a random page from Al-Jazeera: http://google.com/translate?u=http:...8E7EA9DAD30F.htm&langpair=ar|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8 .

Although a lot of embedding is in an akward order for English, the meaning is far more clear and understandable than any other translator even for Spanish to English or French to English which are some of the most common translations.

Compare this to an El País article with the older engine they use for Spanish: http://translate.google.com/transla...7elpepinac_2/Tes&langpair=es|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

And Spanish is a lot closer to English than Arabic, so it should be evident what can happen when you apply new techniques or completely redo the translation engine.

Random Mac Related Question: If you buy Mac OS X outside of the US, are there localised voices? That is, a British or German text-to-speech voice?

7. BigJimSlade macrumors member

Yes, I have one in my garage, right next to my flying car and jet pack.

:p

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

That's the worst place to put it!