Converting audio files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuftywhite, Feb 4, 2008.

1. tuftywhite macrumors member

Hello,

In the early nineties my sister made some recordings on her LC using the provided microphone and the recording functionality within System 7. I was sent a copy of these files for safe keeping.

Duty bound I have kept these files and updated them through OS9, all the OS X's to OSX 10.4.

In Tiger they work in the file preview in Finder however, double clicking shows that there is no application for them (although it tries iTunes). In Leopard, they do not play at all.

I have a solution which is to record them from my old G3 iBook to my MacBook using Line In and Audio Hijack. However, I was wondering if there was an easier way to overcome this.

Your views and comments would be interesting.

Thanks,

Tufty

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

recording them again will drop the quality even more (considering they were recorded in system 7).

what extension is the file? have you tried playing it in QuickTime Player? if the finder can preview it then QuickTime can play it. also try VLC.

3. tuftywhite thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too worried about quality as it just my niece as a two year old gurgling and singing. I've tried WMP, Real Player, QT, VLC. That's why I'm surprised Apple can't read the file. Under the information in Kind it just says Unix Executable File.

I started the thread more out of interest than anything else, just in case I hadn't thought of something obvious. Judging by the number of entries in the thread, I haven't.

Cheers,

Tufty