Converting AVCHD/Buying new camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by josephmccutchen, Oct 10, 2010.

1. josephmccutchen macrumors member

I am two weeks away from buying a MacBook Pro, which I desperately need as my current MacBook is seriously lagging doing video editing. Yes, I would rather have an iMac, as I know it is better for video editing, but as I travel to different countries frequently, that is not practical for me; hence the MacBook Pro. Here is my first question:

My roommate has a Sony HDR-CX500, which is, of course, AVCHD. I am having great difficulty finding a way to import the files, and yes, I have looked at the forums regarding this issue, as I know that many others have experienced the same problem, but these are not helping me. Does anyone know what I can do to get these files imported without losing any quality whatsoever? I'm willing to pay for software if I have to.

Second question: I like the CX500, but not if it's going to be a hassle importing video. What is the best camcorder for Mac, one that will import AVCHD with no trouble? Any thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!!
    :)

2. xStep macrumors 68000

3. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Help!!!

Please forgive me if I sound rude, but really people... there has to be at least one person who has encountered this problem, and knows how to fix it. That's all I'm asking for. Also, if you're going to provide a link, can you make sure that it works first before posting it?

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

There are loads. You'll find them a lot quicker by doing a search than by waiting here for them to find you and type out what they've already typed in another thread covering this exact issue.

Here are a couple of threads to start you off:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1022071&highlight=avchd+import

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984843&highlight=avchd+import

5. xStep macrumors 68000

OP, if you're not going to explain your problems, nobody is going to be able to give full answers.

The basics are; you hook up the camera or card from the camera to your Mac and open your editor and in the case of iMovie select the clips for import. You do not try working with the raw MTS files without third party software.

Also in the past, at least with iMovie 08, you preferably do not record both SD and HD material onto the same card. If you do that then iMovie was known not to see the HD material until the SD material was removed from the card.

6. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

xStep, if you read the beginning of the thread, I believe that I sufficiently explained the problem I was having. Yes, I do know about the SD/HD files, but if they are all MTS, how do I know which ones are SD/HD? It's very confusing, and quite annoying to say the least.

Anyway, my main concern is finding a camcorder with which I will not have to go through this hassle. Any suggestions?

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm not sure what problems you're having exactly, but have a look at VoltaicHD to solve your ingesting and transcoding problems.

http://www.shedworx.com/voltaichd

8. xStep macrumors 68000

Details. You didn't give any. What software are you using? What methods have you tried to import to that software? Are you getting errors? Does OS X see your camera or source?

9. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Well, I guess I didn't give any details, did I? Please forgive me. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8, iMovie '09. I've tried making a camera archive to import the mts (it would be converted to aic). OS X only sees the camera as a hard drive; iMovie doesn't recognize the camera itself. I know that iMovie won't recognize the camera if there is SD and HD content on it. All I see are the mts files, pictures, and of course the camera files themselves. I know there is something I'm missing; just not quite sure what it is.