Converting AVCHD/MTS for FCP Editing Update?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ana2014, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Ana2014 macrumors newbie

Greetings ~

I know this has been discussed here before, but all the threads I've found seem to be a year old and in the digital world a year can change everything, so I'm asking again - what is the best way to convert AVCHD/MTS files into a FCP friendly file without losing quality? I have a Mac Pro using OSX version 10.6.8 (snow leopard) & FCP 6.0.6. I also have Adobe Media Encoder CS4 version 4.0.0.374, though I'm not very experienced in using it. I want to be able to edit in FCP, but am worried about losing quality. I want to keep the full HD quality of the original files which were shot at HD 1080/60i FX on a Sony HDR-AX2000.

Is Clipwrap still the best option? Do I only convert the MTS files? What settings should I use: Pro Res - .mov - .aiff? Do I need to keep the original AVCHD "container" as a back up on an external HD before reformatting the memory cards?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ana

2. coldsweat, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

FCP 6........ Clipwrap & Prores - If you upgrade to FCP7 iirc import using log & transfer from native AVCHD file structure.

Although you are correct that much can change software wise in a year - your software was replaced by Apple over 5 years ago so is effectively frozen in time, the workflow that was relevant for it and the codecs / formats it uses will never change or be improved upon.

3. Ana2014 thread starter macrumors newbie