Converting .avi files to Audio/Video_TS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wts, Feb 24, 2010.

1. wts macrumors member

wts

I just started to use Vuze http://www.vuze.com/

however the movie downloads are .avi files and are playable in my iMac.

How do i convert those files to Audio/Video_TS files to be able to play them in a DVD player to watch on a TV screen ?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Easiest way would be a DVD burning app with conversion abilities. Try Toast or iDVD.

3. burner72450 macrumors newbie

add the .avi file to "Toast" as if you were going to burn it, but instead of clicking the big red button to burn, there is a little icon that says "save as disc image". click it and name your file. it will make the image file a .toast file, but you can rename it to .iso

after you make your image file(.toast or .iso) double click it, and there you have it. a folder with your audio & video_ts folders

this is how i create my Videoo_TS folders every time. it is very time efficient to create, and they burn extra fast!

hope this helps. you can also use your disc utilities to make an image from a file if you dont have Toast or Popcorn, or any other software.

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Just another vote for Toast.

I use Roxio Toast 9 Titanium and love it!

I was using 10 for about two months and found it to be restrictive to my habits and style formed from previous Toast versions. So, I went back to 9 and haven't been happier!

Toast is definitely worth the money. You can usually find it used cheap.

5. wts thread starter macrumors member

wts

Just incredible!

And, so simple.

How do you guys know all this stuff.

Another short question:

Can i do the same with (dot) .mpg files: i.e. convert them to Video_TS files that will play in may TV/DVD player?

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Burn.app is probably the simplest way to get a no-frills DVD disc (no menus, etc.). It's pretty easy to figure out, just select the Video tab, choose DVD (or any other desired format supported by your DVD player), and add your files.

If you have Perian installed, you can also use iDVD to get a disc or video_ts folder from your avi file. Just start a new project, then bring up the map (View-->Show Map) and drag your .avi file into the space that says "Drag content here to automatically play when the disc is inserted." Then it's just a matter of a few clicks to burn a DVD, or go to File-->Save as Video_TS folder if you just want the .vob files. This method should work for .mpg files as well.