Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deep_Thought

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi all,

I usually get movies onto my iPhone using VisualHub, but I've got a film with in avi with a separate SRT file for the subtitles.... How can I convert this with the subtitles to mp4? or to another format that I can then convert using VisualHub to mp4?

THanks

Phil

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
Hey OP, i have the same problem, i want well, exactly what you want :p

i tried the noob thing in visualhub, i put the movie in, and then the srt inside. and then clicked stitch videos together. all that did was spam all the subtitles in the first 20 seconds of the movie and then the rest had nothing lol..

would be nice to have a solution to this.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I believe that if you put the .avi and .srt file in the same folder it will play on VLC. Perhaps you can use VLC to covert the file in this manner with the .srt file in the same folder during the conversion. I believe that during conversion VLC will actually play through the movie very quickly.

Not sure it will work, but worth a try.

There is a tutorial on my site of how to do this. One deals with converting .cue/.bin files, but just replace that with .avi

Hope this works out for you.

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
thanks. i followed your tutorial but it only made an audio file. vlc does play the movie w/subs and i started by playing it and selecting current file to transcode.

an error about not opening the encoder came up at first which i dismissed and ended up with the audio file.

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
got the transcode to work by selecting h.264 and not transcoding audio but the subtitles weren't there.

i tried submerge but it didn't recognize the srt file as subs.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Sorry it didn't work. I'll keep looking around for you though.

got the transcode to work by selecting h.264 and not transcoding audio but the subtitles weren't there.

i tried submerge but it didn't recognize the srt file as subs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.