Converting AVI to DV with separate subtitle track

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dgarmaise, Jun 4, 2008.

1. dgarmaise macrumors member

I have some movie footage in AVI format, and a separate subtitle track in SRT format. I am able to watch the footage, with subtitles, in VLC. I would like to convert the footage, with subtitles, to DV format. I don't seem to be able to do that using MPEG-2 Streamclip, as it does not seem to recognize the SRT file. Is there another way to do this? Thanks

2. dgarmaise thread starter macrumors member

Tried with ffmpegx

I tried doing it with ffmpegx. I loaded the AVI file in Source format: From. I loaded the subtitle file in Filters: Load subs. I selected DV as the target format. The file was converted but minus the subtitles. I tried a second time, this time taking all spaces out of the file name of the subtitle file. Same result. I tried converting to DVD-ffmpeg instead of DV. Same result. Help!

3. dgarmaise thread starter macrumors member

Solved

Seems I am having a conversation with myself! I stumbled on the solution: Using ffmpregx, convert the AVI file to AVI XVID mencoder format, adding the subtitle track of course.

4. Fox 8991 macrumors newbie

Fox 8991

i'm having problem with the subtitles as well, I need to get the main subtitle track that plays automatically when characters are speaking a different language but i don't know how to go about getting it. I used MTR to rip the movie and am not sure what subtitle track would be the right one i'm looking for. Then even if I got that far I don't know what format to change it to so that i could burn onto a dvd and watch on my dvd player.

5. dgarmaise thread starter macrumors member

To Fox 8991: I don't have the answer. I think the subtitles you are referring to are called "embedded subtitles." I had problems with this once, and did a bit of research. I think I was told that usually the embedded subtitles are part of the same video files that contain the movie; and that when this is not the case, it is difficult to find them separately. I am not entirely sure if I am recollecting correctly. Try doing a Google search for "embedded subtitles."

I do recall that when I took an extract from a movie that had embedded subtitles, the subtitles did not appear on certain DVD player software programmes (on my computer) but DID appear when I played the extract on the DVD player hooked up to my TV.