Converting avi to h264

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ungraphic, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I took some videos of random things on vacation, and have many hours worth of stuff recorded from my digital camera, which comes out to 34gb. I'm planning on converting my footage into DivX so I can watch it later on my standalone DVD player with divx playback, as well as a higher quality version, for backup, in h264 format.

The problem is, no amount of kbps settings i use when exporting the video from quicktime (in mp4 format with h264 encoding) really gets all the details down right. I noticed with divx encoding skies usually show blocks, or something that resembles 8 bit colours. Problem with h264 is that objects like trees become blurred and blended together, you dont see greater detail.

For divx im using DivX Converter, for H.264 im using quicktime pro but I cant get better quality. File sizes arent a great deal of importance to me.

Anyone know how to work around this problem? Other software maybe, for better encoding?

Thanks!

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I've never really liked the results from the Quicktime encoder, either with MPEG-4 or H.264 encoder...

I like ffmpegX myself, others like Handbrake.