Converting Cassettes to CD's

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SMM, Jun 27, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This may have been asked many times, and I apologize for not doing proper research. I will offer one lone excuse; I am totally over-committed by time restraints and just need a friendly person to point me in the right direction.

I do convert VHS tapes to DVDs and know that process. So, I do not need (hopefully) a micro description. A link to a good source would sufficient and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it has been covered a number of times, and i'll quickly mention what i have before: in order to properly gainstage to what is probably a consumer-level tape deck to what is probably a pro-level a/d converter, you'll need to amplify the signal some 18 dB. an interface with dual mic pre's will do this nicely.

also: you get what you pay for.

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Thank you for the quick response. This will provide me with the info I need. Our CEO wants to convert his cassette 'books on tape", to CDs. He did purchase the CD version, when available. But, his older ones do not have a CD version. For compliance, he is going to destroy the tapes after conversion.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, that's interesting. i'm no lawyer, but i'd like to think what he's doing, assuming it's for personal use only, would fall under fair use.