Converting DivX video to mac-format

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by convertee, Mar 30, 2008.

1. convertee macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm 99% sure i'm getting an imac in a few weeks (hopefully updated imac). anyway i have a whole bunch of DivX encoded videos on my (regrettably) windows laptop. I was wondering if i could convert these to a mac-friendly format BEFORE i get my shiny new mac (there's plenty of articles telling me how to do this on a mac but not a pc). it would also be great if i could put these videos on my ipod. any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Not sure about "before" (sorry!) but VisualHub is the Mac OS X application you need to convert DivX on the Mac into a mac-friendly (and iPod friendly) format.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ignoring the iPod, you can just install DivX on your Mac and play them that way. The DivX component is system-wide so the files will open in virtually every application.

4. macgruder macrumors 6502

FFMpeg converts almost anything.

http://ffmpegX.com/

You may find that Handbrake will as well.
    There's no real reason to do the conversions before, and you may find you'll be able to play them anyway.

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

to be able to import your videos into iTunes and play them on your iPod they need to be in .mp4 format.
    This list over at lifehacker.com might be helpful in finding the right program.

Playing DivX videos on the Mac
    Install Perian and Flip4Mac on your new Mac and it will play almost any video file. Keep VLC for good measure and you'll be fine video-wise.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I use Quicktime Pro for playing Divx formated video's, seem to play ok, but there is a webpage out there with links for the divx componants to allow the format to be played in Quicktime :)

as mackindergarten said, grab perian & flip4mac & you'll be good to go ;)