Converting Divx/xVid files to Mp4/m4v

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Soulcrux, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Do you guys have a decent program for this?

Googling doesn't work because it leads me to many shady sites that have crappy-looking software.

2. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

download Vuze its a torrent client
    click on devices, click on ipad , throw a divx and boom! its a mp4

3. Soulcrux thread starter macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Tried this, it works OKAY but it doesnt seem to be a dedicated converter. Just sort of an afterthough/stapled-on function.

Anyone have a dedicated converter?

4. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

dont want to sound mean, but if your tech savvy you should know the answer and if your not you should stick with the practical.

5. Bigrahizzle macrumors regular

Bigrahizzle

i used Handbrake for many movies i have downloaded on the net. Try it, it works great. I havent converted for a while since i restored my MB but the program gives u many options like setting file size and etc

6. Soulcrux thread starter macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

What do you mean "if [i'm] tech savvy should know the answer" ?

I don't usually dabble in conversion-I've never used any iPod or iPhone to watch full-length movies unless i rented them from the iTunes store. I just always thought that that screen wasn't big enough for movies.

Now with the iPad, with it's big beautiful screen and its 10 hour battery life, I'm actually planning on watching lots of movies. Meaning I want to convert all my (already downloaded) torrents.

I don't need your opinions on what I should "stick to". All I asked for was for people to give me the name of a good conversion software if they knew of one.

7. Soulcrux thread starter macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Handbreak works with stand-alone files?
    Hallelujah!

I only used it for ripping DVDs.

Thanks alot! :D

EDIT: This is really going super fast. Vuze was telling me (4%- ETA 1 Hour) after like 15 minutes of sitting there, and it was a 21 minute TV show. Handbreak is already at 4% in 2 minutes with an eta of 40! =)

8. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

i convert divx to mp4 in handbrake in 6 minutes and in vuze in 2 minutes, must be the computer.

9. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

if your going to use handbrake pay attention to the size of the files, sometimes there way to big.

10. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

also if you get the 64 bit version of handbrake you need to find the 64 version of vlc.

11. windroll macrumors member

Are you specifically looking for conversion to mp4/m4v or just want to watch videos on your iPad?

If it's latter, you can get Air Video. I believe they support iPad already. I don't own an iPad yet (Canada, so close... yet so far), but I do have an iPod Touch. I can watch any videos on my iPod Touch streamed from my PC and Macbook with live conversion with Air Video.

What's great about this app is, not only does it convert any types of videos encoding (so far, I've watched videos encoded in AVI, MPEG, DivX, MKV, and many other types), I can even travel to other places with wifi connections and watch videos hosted on my home PC/Mac remotely.

I think if this combine with remote desktop apps like LogMeIn, you can just remotely download movies at home, and then watch it where ever you are in the world with iPad.

If this is not what you're looking for, then VUZE sounds good to me. :)