converting DMG image to .app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sany72, Jan 1, 2014.

1. sany72 macrumors newbie

Can somebody help how to convert .DMG image application to an .app format.

Thanks
    S

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

It doesn't work that way. A dmg is a disk image. Double click it to open it and you can then run whatever app is inside it. Then copy that app to the applications folder or run the install routine if that's what it is.
    If you post more details you may get more help.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A dmg is a lot like a zip file on windows. It is a container that may have an app or other files inside. I should also mention that an app is also a container but that's another discussion.

Agreed. Hopefully the OP will come back and let us know more...

4. sany72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Yes, I am running an unsupported mac to run mountain lion and have a dmg copy but need to have the app version to make the hack work. This is why I was asking.

Thanks
    S

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I presume that you're talking about the OS X installer itself. The .app contains additional files (the .dmg is one of the files inside the .app). The easiest solution is to go to the App Store on a working system and download a full copy of the installer from there.

7. DeltaMac, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That doesn't quite answer the question.
    Is that actually a Mac (which one exactly?)
    Or, a hackintosh?

However, opening a .dmg to get whatever is inside really is as simple as double-clicking the .dmg file. If it's an app in the .dmg, it will be obvious when opened.
    Or, you could check at the site where you downloaded your .dmg file. That will likely give you actual steps for doing what you want to do.

8. D∑√ macrumors newbie

i wanted to upgrade macOS from 10.5 to 10.6 and though in 10.5 there was no app store so can u guide me with this or refer me some website

Thank you

9. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

10.6 was only available as retail DVD for about $29 or something like that...
    You could download newer versions of OS X (if your Mac supports them) from another Mac through Appstore and install them directly though.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Sn
    Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) is still offered online, direct from Apple - still $20 :D
    You can purchase the installer DVD HERE.

11. Hitler's Testicle macrumors newbie

Basically, i have a dmg file with all the contents to run the game but there is no application within the file to actually run these contents. I'm just stuck with loads of content files. Any way to put them all into an app to run them?

12. chrfr macrumors 604

No. What you're looking to do is actually write the game itself, which is obviously not as simple as just copying some files into a folder.
    What game is it?

13. Longkeg macrumors regular

Any idea what app that would be? Without more specific information it is unlikely you wil get much help here. A couple of other things: First, welcome to the forum. Second, if you check the dates you’ll see you’ve replied to a thread that has been inactive for close to 3 years. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but the original subject really doesn’t have much to do with what you’re asking other than it has “.dmg” in the subject. Try again with specific details about the game and file extensions your dealing with.