Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toups

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Does anyone have a concise method for converting DTS streams to AC3? I am trying to convert some Blu-Ray movies, and the audio is only provided in DTS format for english.

Toups

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
BTW, Kudos to Cave Man for figuring out the main part of the Blu-Ray to AppleTV process, as referenced in the tread below: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/541517/

I was able to find a cleaner (read as easier) method for converting from DTS-HD and DTS to AC3@448kbps (AC3 standard bitrate for 5.1 audio)

As noted in another thread, use AnyDVD to extract the Blu-Ray disk.

Once you have the files extracted, use tsMuxeR to remove the extra audio/video tracks. Be sure to select DTS-HD downcovert to DTS. Also, set tsMuxeR to demux the files which will result in 2 files, one for the video, and one with a .dts extension for the audio track.

Next, use the instructions provided at the following link to convert from DTS to AC3. Beleive it or not, I have tried it on 2 disk and it takes a little time, but is amazingly simple.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic323554.html

Once you have the new AC3 audio track use tsMuxeR to recombine the audio and video to a single .m2ts file.

Voila, your done, copy to Mac OSX, drop into VisualHub and use your preferences of choice.

nickd06

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Im looking for a link to that file as wel...

using popcorn mkv audioconverter on the windows side for the first time as we speak...But would like to keep it on one system

mhale62

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Is there any news about this effort?

Has anything happened to make it easier to convert DTS => AC3 on Mac OS 10.5.x?

I can do it easily enough in WinXP under VMware but it's not ideal ;)

Much obliged for any tips.

Mrrrrt

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
This was driving me insane!

Hello all, I just got a Plextor external blu-ray drive for my 27" iMac. It has been driving me insane searching forum after forum trying to find an answer to this question... " convert blu-ray to mkv and down convert DTS to Ac3. Well I finally have a work flow that works great and I don't have to run any virtual windows programs. Drum roll....

1st - Get Makemkv and rip mkv file from blu-ray - Free
2nd - Get Moyea MKV converter and change DTS to AC3 - $29.00 (Great program though)
3rd - Get mkvtoolnix for mac and merge the mkv and ac3 file - Free
4th (2 options) - Either use Moyea MKV converter to encode the new mkv file made with mkvtoolnix, or use Handbrake to do the encoding.
Until Handbrake or any other program can do all this in one step... this one has been fail proof thus far. I hope this helps anyone who has been as frustrated as me with this issue.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
These is a way to do this via FFMPEG in Terminal, but I have forgotten how you do it :(

darious1472

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
assuming you've managed to the the DTS stream extracted from the mkv or m2ts file you can ffmpeg to convert it to AC3,

Code:
ffmpeg -i sample.dts -vn -threads 8 -acodec ac3 -ac 6 -f ac3 -ab 640k sample.ac3

This will convert a DTS file called sample to a 6 channel (i.e. 5.1) 640kb AC3 file. You might want to adjust the number of threads depending on how many cores you have.

You can then combine this with the original file using mkvtoolnix or tsmuxer.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
assuming you've managed to the the DTS stream extracted from the mkv or m2ts file you can ffmpeg to convert it to AC3,

Code:
ffmpeg -i sample.dts -vn -threads 8 -acodec ac3 -ac 6 -f ac3 -ab 640k sample.ac3

This will convert a DTS file called sample to a 6 channel (i.e. 5.1) 640kb AC3 file. You might want to adjust the number of threads depending on how many cores you have.

You can then combine this with the original file using mkvtoolnix or tsmuxer.
Yes that was the it, thank you so much :D how many threads would you use for a core 2 Duo at 2.16 GHz?

xfiring

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
How do you convert dts to ac3 using Moyea? Can't seem to figure it out, it says to replace audio but you need to add the AC3 file.

Thanks

Mrrrrt

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
Ac3

I know it's a little confusing, but here we go. Add the mkv file to Moyea mkv converter and choose the ac3 setting under the common audio drop down tab. Adjust settings by clicking the settings button. Set it 6 channels or 5.1. Once settings are in tact, choose the encode button. Once the mkv is converted to ac3, drop the new ac3 file and the original mkv file into mkvtoolnix and merge the 2 files. The entire process takes about 20 minutes or so on my 3 ghz imac. Hope this helps. It looks like moyea mkv converter is suppost to be able to encode ac3 audio and mp4 video at the same time, so we can skip a step, but I can't figure it out. I am waiting for Moyea tech support with an answer. They have been real responsive with my questions so far, so hopefully I will have answer to make this process even faster. The mkv toolnix is just something I came up with in the mean time so that I can start encoding all my Blu-Rays.

ckc6125

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
free program?!

Is there a free program that will work like Moyea?

I would like a program that can easily convert DTS to AC3 in Mac OS X without having to pay for it!

I've tried to search for such a program but have not had any luck finding one!

Please help....

husak

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
[HOW TO] Convert on MAC OSX a DTS track to AC3 file at 640 kbps

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4YGNLS8V

- Drag your audio.dts on the "DTS to AC3 convertor" icone
Warning : Don't launch "DTS to AC3 convertor" before, you have to open your dts file with the application

The conversion will be made in "invisible mode" but you can see a ac3 file on your desktop
After, click "leave on me desktop"

i only change the "main scrit " to dts ---> AC3 640 Kbps from original script :

many thanks to "CODA" the autor of "DTS to AC3 convertor" !

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
The easiest way that I found was Popcorn running on Windows through VMware Fusion or Parallels.

1. You use MakeMKV to create an MKV file with DTS audio.
2. You load the MKV file into Popcorn. Then you convert the DTS track to AC3 (you can either create a new AC3 audio track and keep the DTS track or replace the DTS track withe the AC3 track.)
3. Play in Plex or Handbrake for AppleTV

husak

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
hey man my sugestion don´t need any WINDOWS at all ,only Snow Leopard and DTS to AC3 free conversor

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
hey man my sugestion don´t need any WINDOWS at all ,only snow leopard and DTS to AC free conversor

Search around for mkvdts2ac3. I rip my Blu-Ray movies to MKV (Using MakeMKV) and use this tool to convert to AC3 and then use handbrake to encode .... no Windows needed.

It's command line only but it's free....

REK

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I know it's a little confusing, but here we go. Add the mkv file to Moyea mkv converter and choose the ac3 setting under the common audio drop down tab. Adjust settings by clicking the settings button. Set it 6 channels or 5.1. Once settings are in tact, choose the encode button. Once the mkv is converted to ac3, drop the new ac3 file and the original mkv file into mkvtoolnix and merge the 2 files.

This works great, I use subler instead to combine the tracks while adding my metadata though.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Right. I bought a Mac so I could dispense with that pesky GUI and so I could mux and remux multiple files in multiple steps and/or tinker with terminal....

Let me know when I can open an MKV file with a DTS track in a single program on OS X, set the program to convert the DTS track to AC3, and hit process. Then if I can come back later and I have an MKV file with both a DTS track and an AC3 track, then we will be in business.

Until then Windows with Popcorn just works.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Right. I bought a Mac so I could dispense with that pesky GUI and so I could mux and remux multiple files in multiple steps and/or tinker with terminal....

Let me know when I can open an MKV file with a DTS track in a single program on OS X, set the program to convert the DTS track to AC3, and hit process. Then if I can come back later and I have an MKV file with both a DTS track and an AC3 track, then we will be in business.

To each there own I guess. Learning how to do one quick command is far easier and quicker then booting windows and converting every time.

The tool I linked produces a mkv with a complete, converted AC3 file (and the original DTS file if you don't specify) with one command ("./mkvdts2ac3 <mkv file name>" is all that is needed).

husak

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010

i redirect you to posted in NMT forum by Crivelvives extract dts from MKV in OSX

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I've found that Handbrake 0.9.4 often will not load up a re-muxed file containing a newly converted or altered soundtrack. It just crashes the main CLI process in Windows or says it cannot find a valid file in OSX. I've read of a lot of other people running into a similar problem with certain Blu-Ray movies and what not. I think they traced the problem to ffmpeg, but even though this issue was known in SVN builds prior to the release of 0.9.4, it was NOT fixed for 0.9.4. The odd thing is that 0.9.3 works perfectly fine with such files. I've had to use it a few times in the past few days with DTS conversions, which died in 0.9.4 but worked fine in 0.9.3. I'm glad I kept it around since they only maintain source versions of older versions of Handbrake on their site for some reason when this shows it would be a good idea to keep older binary versions around if their new versions are so obviously buggered (i.e. they knew it wasn't fixed in 0.9.4 and released it anyway, removing the older version where it worked and have had no official non-SVN updates since then).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.