Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I've seen variations of this question in different forums, but I didn't know if any of those answers applied to mine, so....

I am planning on making a rather involved movie in iMovie of some old football games from when my friends and I were in high school.

These games were originally shot with a normal VHS camera and then converted to DVD using one of those combo players.

What is the best way to take those games and convert them into a format where I can chop them up (down to individual plays) so I can make this video in iMovie?

They are obviously not copyright protected or encrypted or anything like that. I just need to import these things and start to slice and dice.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
There's a great little program called DVDxDV that takes footage from your non-copy-protected DVD and converts it to a Quicktime movie. It works really well. You can get the pro version for $80 or the regular version for $25.

comebackdwn

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
you could use handbrake.
it's very easy and converts the files to mp4, which are totally qualified for imovie. that is what i use.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I've been using MPEGStreamclip (free :) ) but I had to download Apples MPEG-2 Playback Component (not free, £15 :( ). Worked a treat - divided the original video_ts file into seperate clips by setting in and out points, exported them as mp4 files and dragged them straight into iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.