Converting DVD to DV?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac In School, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

A family member had a bunch of old VHS tapes put on DVD a few years back. Now I'd like to convert them to DV and import them into iMovie. What's the best way to convert them?

I don't need anything that breaks copy protection. I managed to sucessfuly use the disk image trick on some of them, but it failed on others.

Thanks.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I use MPEG Streamclip for tons of stuff and love it! A professional film editor showed me it so I got the free download. It converts in great quality and works almost perfectly!:D

3. bnavapolo macrumors newbie

I've done this several times and the method that is most effective is to put the dvd in a dvd player, and instread of running the video and audio out to a monitor, plug it into a DV camera or DV deck and turn on the AV in --> DV option. Then you can capture it on iMovie or FCP. If you use FCP be sure to change the capture settings so that the device is "non-controllable." Press Capture Now and then press play and watch you DVD get captured in real time.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I agree with the 2nd and 3rd posts. Use MPEGStreamclip. It's free and easy.

While this method will work, and sometimes it's my only option, the results are less than stellar. I find that the colors tend to get washed out along the way from the analog source to the the miniDV camcorder. The end result is bland DV footage. (note - if you have the ability to use s-video instead of composite, that should help out a little with the color ... unfortunately, very few miniDV camcorders have s-video inputs anymore)

Seeing as how the OP's original subject is VHS tapes, I would think keeping the number of AtoD conversions to a minimum would be paramount.

ft

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried it yet.

luwen,

Is step 1 necessary? I'm under the impression that MPEG Streamclip will convert the DVD's native files (VOB?) directly, but I *may* need the MPEG2 Codec from Apple.

Still a little confused.

Thanks.

6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool. Thanks.

Would you move the .VOB files over to the hard drive before running them through MPEG Streamclip? I think I remember hearing someone say that's more reliable.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yes, move the .vob files over. It's move reliable because you have the originals on your hard drive.

Regards,
    David