Converting DVD to editable footage in Premiere: NOT STEALING DVDS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lfarrow, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lfarrow macrumors newbie

So i am a film maker and have received 4 dvds from a client that needs me to rip them onto my computer to edit.

2 of the DVDS were video taped directly to DVD and 2 of the other ones were videos made by someone else and then authorized to DVD.

I am trying to get a simple FREE way to convert and rip these video/audio files off the DVDs and into Adobe Premiere.

I have Handbrake and i couldnt get Premiere to accept any of the files.

Help please with this issue. I dont know what software i need to convert to HIGH quality video to edit in Premiere. Please Help

Thanks

Lucas Farrow

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm.... Probably not the best solution but you could rip them into H.264 using handbrake, then use jes de-interlacer (using "bare project" settings) and output to AIC.

I sure some quality will be lost but it's worth a shot because it's free.

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Use MpegStreamClip and convert them to DV files. Don't use h.264, more compressed.

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I think somebody asks this every week. Mpeg Streamclip is by far the best way to do this, but you do need the $20 mpeg2 codec from apple for it to work with DVDs. If you have FCE or FCP, this codec is included.

5. lfarrow thread starter macrumors newbie

So i am still new to all this ripping DVD stuff.

Could you lay out settings and such? Like a step by step so i can get the BEST quality?

I dont know how to do this at all really so i would appreciate a good step by step

Lucas

6. Lunchbox16 macrumors member

I, too, have an interest in this question. I have a number of old home movies that I recently got converted to digital format and put on DVD. I want to be able to rip the video from the DVD, edit it, and make it into a nice DVD with chapters and the like. My biggest concern is loss of quality. The original files were from VHS-C and I don't want to use any file formats that will affect the image quality. So, more specifically to the original question, what program will allow one to convert ripped DVD files to a format where they can be manipulated in iMovie or iDVD without losing quality? I have used MacTheRipper in the past and am sort of familiar with that; it should not degrade the video quality. If I use MTR to rip what, then, would I use to convert to an editable file format WITHOUT losing quality?

Many thanks!