Converting DVD video to be playable on my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbjectEvolution, Aug 21, 2010.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I'm getting into cardistry and some magic as well and I bought a 3 DVD instructional set. I'm wanting to take the different sections and convert them to a video file (.mov?) that I can then transfer to my iPhone so that I can watch them on the go. I'm guessing the DVDs will be full of short tutorial videos for different moves and such, and so I will probably have to make a ton of separate videos. I would like the videos to look as good as possible as the details count with this sort of thing.

How do I go about doing this?

I have an i7 Macbook Pro.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You can use RipIt to copy the 3 DVD's to your MacBook, and then use HandBrake to convert them to a file the iPhone can read, as well as resize them so they look good on the iPhone.

RipIt will create a .dvdmedia file, which is nice, because if you don't want to put the DVD into your MacBook, you can just view the DVD straight from the file.
    HandBrake can't make it so the menu items are on your phone, but instead makes many chapters that you can use to navigate.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can use WinX DVD Ripper. Or a combination of Handbrake + VLC to break the DVD's copyright protection. Or enter my YouTube giveaway for a chance to win WinX DVD Ripper. I have both Mac and Windows versions.

4. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Use handbrake. It's free and already has presets to rip DVDs to iPhone format. You may need something to circumvent copyright like anydvd.

5. Macnator macrumors 6502

I ripped a DVD for my iPhone 4 using WinX DVD Ripper for Mac.

I clicked the "to iPad" tab because it has a choice for 720x480 which is the resolution of DVD, anything higher is a pure waste (since DVD is limited to 720x480) and anything lower is a bit of a waste too, since the iPhone 4 has a high enough resolution screen. (The file is 4.80GB for one movie though:eek:)

The movie in question was Avatar and my god did it ever look amazing on the iPhone 4. (Unfortunately I had to return my iPhone 4 due to a few problems and am waiting for the opportunity to purchase a new one)

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

@UCLAKoolman, SnowLeopard2008: RipIt breaks through the protection seamlessly. I have ripped 20+ discs and it's gone through it like nothing.

7. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

After you use Ripit do you use Handbrake to convert for iPhone or does Riptit do that for you?

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I use handbrake to convert it.

9. ephailey macrumors member

I use an iRecord Uploader device. I just play the DVD or VHS tape and it converts it to MP4. Very easy.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Handbrake does everything and it's free. I freaking love it.

11. asdff macrumors member

another +1 for handbrake here, does the job very well :)