Converting DVDs into small but good enough quality to play on iPod Touch 2nd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tianuk3, Dec 11, 2008.

1. tianuk3 macrumors member

Basically what the thread title says.

I've only got 4gb remaining on my 32gb Touch and want to put as many episodes of Arrested Development on it as possible. I don't care about hooking my iPod Touch upto TV or anything like that, just want to watch it on the iPod Touch. I basically want the best quality for the smallest file, I am probably asking too much I know ;-) Could anyone tell me exact specifics to suit these strict requirements? Would be greatly appreciated :-D

Thanks in advance

2. jaypel2520 macrumors newbie

HandBrake seems to work

I just ripped "Ratatouille" for my iPhone last night and selected the iPod Touch/iPhone settings. The 111 minute movie clocked in at 448mb when finished. The quality is perfect for that size screen. I'll watch it and throw it away.

3. .adam macrumors regular

Try and get your hands on Visualhub (even though it's now been discontinued).

Loads of settings on there - should keep the size down for you.

4. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Family Guy seasons 1-6 @ 4.19GB. I think it is this small because the audio is stereo (MAY BE WRONG). Looking to change the audio is allways a good thing to consider as you will not be listening to it with a critic's ear.

5. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

Wow thats an incredible size, how did you get it to that? What software did you use?

What software and settings did you use for this?

I'll have a look for that, and let you know how I get on :) I hope its a MAC program hehehehe.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I use Handbrake. I select the 'iPod touch' preset, but then select 'Target size' and change it to 70MB for a television show, 350MB for a small movie or 500MB for a large movie. The quality is great. I have about 250 Simpsons episodes on my iPod at the moment (ripped from all of the Season DVD sets), and even if 70MB seems rather small it looks perfect on the screen.

I used to just select the iPod touch preset, then run that file (which would be somewhere around 200MB in size) through iSquint to make it smaller. However, it came out in really horrible quality in places, making a target size makes the end product look so much better.

7. darkmeton macrumors member

Actually Handbrake is the best out there. I've tried Visual Hub, iSquint, Roxio video converter, ImToo video converter, super. ALL SUCKED! Very low quality video for the size of the file. Handbrake is the only solution. It even has ipod touch presets. How cool is that?

8. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

I just tried ripping Arrested Development using the iPod Touch preset and had all these horizontal green lines across it and loadsss of noise... and defragmented video throughout with the sound acting up too...any suggestions?

9. darkmeton macrumors member

Have you installed perian?? If not, it's natural for those things to happen since there are no codecs in your machine.

10. nathandublya macrumors newbie

I ripped the movie apocolypse which is around 3 hours long - it came in at just over 1gb and is excellent quality. The tools I used to do this were 'Videora' and 'DVD Decrypter' both of which are free. Im pretty sure there is a guide in Videora which explains how to rip a DVD to your iPod Touch. Links to both are below:

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/ - the guide is on the website on the right hand side

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/ - dvd decrypter - follow the guide above it worked an absolute treat for me - whole process probably took about an hour and was very easy.

Both apps are Windows based

11. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

what settings did you use for Videora? It took me 2 hours to convert a 2 hour movie.

12. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

whats perian?
    :)

13. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

I use Handbrake, select the iPhone/iPod touch preset, set the kbps to 600, then turn on all the picture options to their lowest settings. I use the old version of handbrake (0.9.2), because it was faster. Also, a 45 minute episode of House clocks in at about 125mb, and a 30 minute episode of family guy is about 50-85mb.