Converting DVDs to new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigFatCow, Mar 12, 2012.

1. BigFatCow macrumors newbie

I plan going digital with my dvd collection once I receive my iPad in the mail. I will most likely go with Handbrake to get this accomplished. With the Retina Display, will the video quality look good, or do I really need to convert movies from blu ray discs to get the best quality out of the iPad screen.

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

They'll look fine as long as you keep the quality settings moderately high on Handbrake.

But of course they'll look better if you rip them from a HD source, like a BluRay. Silly sausage.

3. iohass macrumors regular

DVDs aren't high def so might as well convert them for ipad2

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Like other's have said, if you can convert blu rays, that would be better. A lot more space will be taken as file sizes for Blu's are larger. Even Blu ray doesn't have the resolution of the Retina display :eek:

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Calculations

I think you need to do some tests and calculations.

1. Ripping, encoding and transferring many disks is labor intensive and time consuming. Wouldn't you rather be watching movies?

2. How many times are you realistically going to watch these movies on your iPad -- as opposed to a proper TV from a Blu-ray (best experience)

3. Perhaps it is worth it to simply rent or purchase the titles you really want in HD from iTunes, Amazon or another source.

My .02

I wouldn't bother with a Blu-ray rip for an iPad. I'd only watch it on the big screen. I'd rip DVDs of some of some titles, then rent or buy HD versions of others as seems appropriate for content. If anyone can report back here with quality of ripped blu, ripped DVD, iTunes standard and iTunes HD comparisons appreciated

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's not true. I can do all of those in 30-45 mins.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I rip all my DVDs at normal quality in handbrake and then use AirVideo to optimize the file for my iPad. AirVideo gives me the best quality for the device I convert for, and shrinks the file size so I can fit more movies.

I don't know if AirVideo calculates the resolution or if it is hardcoded, but I'm sure they will update the app by Friday if needed.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Ripping and encoding is pretty much a passive activity. You can rip to a hard drive in 10 minutes or less, with a single click. Once you've amassed a number of ripped discs you can set them up in a queue on Handbrake and convert a batch overnight (8-10 easily). So it's hardly a time-intensive process.

9. Philipppa macrumors newbie

Converting DVDs to new iPad

The new iPad supports the same video formats as iPad 2. So converting DVDs to the new iPad is equal to converting DVD to iPad 2 with a related dvd ripping program.