Converting .exe files to movies

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mikebatho, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Hi. I've been given a disc with some .exe files on, but obviously I can't open them on my mac as it stands. It's a game when opened on Windows, but I only need to reference the visuals. Is there any way to access the files and convert to video? I know it will no longer 'play' like a game, but that doesn't matter....

Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What I'd do in this situation is throw the .exe files at something like The Unarchiver. That program can often open self-extracting EXEs.

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, tried that, but no dice. Tried every piece of unarchiving software I have. Also tried WINE, but that opens the files in X11 as a flash player file,
    but only shows the contents as single frames, no animation.

Hmmmm....

4. jdelgado macrumors regular

If you need to do this only once, how about installing a Windows VM? There are demos and free VMs and I think you can also get the OS for 30 days or so.

Within Windows you can run the .exe and extract what you need, either by converting the videos, capturing the screen, or accessing the files directly.