Converting EyeTV video without the EyeTV software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cromulent, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I know that if you right click on an EyeTV video and select open package you can drag the mpg file out but I am having problems getting the video into a usable state for viewing in iTunes. The audio seems to slip out of sync. Has anyone had any luck using ffmpegX to convert EyeTV video files into something that is viewable via iTunes using ffmpegX or some other software?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what verison are u using... isn't their an export to ipod/itunes option...
    The only other thing is Quicktime pro

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

My Tutorial Is Comprehensive

Read and follow my tutorial on how to do it.

You use TOAST to convert the original recording to a DVD IMAGE then rip with Handbrake 0.8.5b1

As far an I am concerned, all other methods yield inferior copies. Mine are FAR SUPERIOR in quality at a very conservative size of 350MB per 43 minute HDTV Show or 700MB per Movie or 100MB per cartoon or 140MB per SD half hour.

4. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

There is, but the thing is my Dad has a Mac Mini (the computer with the EyeTV software and hardware installed) but it takes a painfully long time to export for Apple TV, I wanted to do the converting on my Mac Pro in order to save a considerable amount of time.

Thanks, I'll check it out :).

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Install EyeTV On Your Mac Pro As Well

Install his copy of EyeTV on your Mac Pro - you only need to drag it over to your applications folder from his on the network. Then copy the programs across the network to your Mac Pro where you edit, compact then drag to Toast with video settings set to minimum compression. NOTE: They need to be put in a "EyeTV Archive" Folder at the top of your hard drive then you need to assign that drive to the recording scratch drive in EyeTV Preferences.

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks, the Toast method worked well (I saved the disc image onto my computer via the network) and can now use Handbrake to encode the video in the normal way for Apple TV. I decided against installing EyeTV on my machine in the end though as saving a disc image through Toast is pretty quick even on the Mac Mini and gets the job done nice and quickly.

7. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I have tried doing as multimedia suggested several times, taking eyeTV files and using Toast to make disk images. Handbrake will accept them, but spits out very poor mp4 files (poor audio, and stuttering video, even on my 1.83 CD iMac with 1 GB RAM, and no other apps open.)

Strangely, Handbrake also won't let me change the Target Size and average kbps... if I change one of the numbers and click on the other, the number goes back to default. Weird.

Multimedia's tutroial for videos is great, though... I used his settings to rip DVDs and the videos look great!

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually, I do seem to be having an odd problem with Handbrake myself. It seems to hang when encoding the DVD image that Toast 8.0.1 made. Checking the background apps, a thing called "loginwindow" seems to be using up an entire core of my computer but I have no other applications open. This only appears when I am encoding one of these Toast DVD images with Handbrake as well. At every other time it is nowhere to be seen in Activity Monitor.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Handbrake mp4 Files Are Fantastic

That's just not so. You must be doing something very wrong for that to be the case. Did you make sure to have it on 2-Pass? Is DE-Interlace turned ON? All my encodes look little worse than perfect and I've been doing them for 2 years. I don't know where you're going wrong but you should revisit my tutorial and make sure you follow all of my instructions.

You have to press the ENTER Key after you choose a Target Size for it to stick in 0.8.5b1. Read the NOTES and go to the Forum when you have problems with Handbrake. All solutions are there.

10. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didn't mean to discredit Multimedia or anything. I've used his settings to rip DVDs, and they look GREAT!!

Not sure what's going wrong with my Toast images, but still trying to work that out. In Handbrake, Toast disk images will go through about 60-70% of the first encoding, switch to the second encoding, and freeze at about 1.5% completion. It will sit there forever and not spit anything out.

Something wrong on my end. But I swear by Multimedia's settings; they work far better than the many, many settings I tried before.