converting file types

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Moulson13, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Moulson13 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I got a question that I thought you smart people could help me out with. I have MacBook Pro (1st generation) and I have a bunch of .avi files that I want to throw into iTunes however I have to convert them into mp4 or another extension that iTunes can understand. I have both quicktime pro and roxio crunch however when I use them to convert them for iTunes the sound and video tend to not line up. If I play the .avi files in VLC or another program the sound and video sync up fine. So I wanted to know if anyone can suggest a good FREE[ program that I can use to convert these videos it would be great. Thanks guys and gals let me know if you have any ideas.

2. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

isquint should do what you are looking for.

Its free.

If you want a GOOD everything to almost everything video converter, visualhub is awesome. Its not free though.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sadly neither of those programs are still in development or supported

i would reccomend a torrent for isquint as its freeware

or the new version of handbrake should do what you want as well:)

4. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

are you serious!? Well snaps, im glad i have them...

Handbrake is good, takes a good amount of processing time though.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup

there are freeware versions of it now though (as the developer ended up giving out the source code) but i forget the names. i heard they are not quite ready though but i may be wrong

yea i like the new handbrake as they finally enabled the feature of converting already made media files and not only from dvds