Converting files for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rogzilla, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Rogzilla macrumors regular

Hello, I am new to the forums! I got my first mac just under a year ago and a brand new iPod nano!

Yet, I am in need of help. I have a whole bunch of .avi files that I want to be able to play in iTues and in my nano as well. I came across iSquint which seemed to work great. The videos look great on my iPod...but leave something to be desired on my iMac.

When I watched the .avi files in full screen (ie-through Front Row) they looked pretty good. Not HD stuff mind you but pretty good. However, when I watched the converted files in Front Row...they are a lot more fuzzy. For example, in animation, the black lines stand out much less.

Now, when I converted them, I used Highest Quality with the iPod setting...maybe they would look better if I used the TV setting?

I really don't want to have two files on my computer, one for iPod and one for iMac. I want a file that I can watch with good quality on both.

So, what I want to know is "What is the solution for a MPEG4 conversion?"

Thanks everyone. I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this...but it seemed the best that I could see.

2. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

iSquint makes MP4's and if you set it under the iPod setting/resolution the video's aren't going to be up to par for watching full screen on a computer.

BUT - they'll look all nice on an iPod

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You could look into buying VisualHub, which is the big brother of iSquint. It'll allow you to set all the settings (resolution, file size, bitrate, etc etc) and preview before you commit to converting.

In all likelihood, though, if you want files that both play on an iPod AND look good on an HDTV, you'll need two files.

4. Rogzilla thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm. Well I am certainly not looking for HD quality stuff. There is really just a slight drop in quality. Really, would be satisfied for the happy medium.

5. Rogzilla thread starter macrumors regular

Now that I am home, I was able to experiment a little. Simply switching it to the TV setting does keep the quality much closer to the original. I couldn't tell the difference between the original .avi and the converted .mp4. Best of all, while it did increase the size of the file, it isn't any bigger than a TV show of the same length purchased from iTunes. Oh, AND it plays on the iPod, looking awesome. I have my solution! ^_^

Thanks to you guys who helped me out! Much appreciated!

I am still considering getting Quicktime Pro though...