Converting from 8mm HS to hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by barijazz, Jan 5, 2008.

1. barijazz macrumors 6502

I have a whole library of videos from back in the day. All in 8mm HS but I also have them copied to VHS. I want to get them on my macbook pro and do some editing. I bought a VHS to DvD thing but it totally sucks ass and doesn't work. I want some sort of camera that can hook into my mac and copy them into imovie.

2. Pekk macrumors newbie

You'll need a Digital 8 Sony Camcorder. They are some sort of "transition" format that reads and writes over 8mm format, but you can export in digital format over firewire on any mac with firewire.

Just check that the model you buy reads old 8mm format tapes, because there are some models that just write on them but do not read.

But, hurry because I think now they are discontinued by Sony though I'm sure they are still easy to find in the US.

3. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

eBay should be a good place to find a working Digital8. The school I work at bought new ones last year and I think I saw one at Fry's Electronics recently.

4. gabrules macrumors newbie

Hi, you have a couple options. If you have a player for the 8mm tapes you can purchase a digital converter which allows you to go in with an analog signal such as RCA or S-video and come out digitally through firewire into a computer. The other option is to buy a Digital 8 camcorder or stand alone deck that plays regular 8. You can then come out firewire into the computer. Both those options are pretty expensive if you don't plan on using them often. If you don't have much I would suggest bringing your tapes to a place that does transfers it may come out cheaper.
    Gabriel
    Video Express
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com

5. sharif macrumors newbie

hi_8 video into a mac

Is there any way to get my hi-8 into a mac, without buy a converter?
    I have the S-video cable and bought a mini-dvi adapter that connects to the s-video ,

6. gabrules macrumors newbie

Converting from 8mm HS to hard drive

Hi, Not that I know of. Hi 8 is not a digital format. you need to convert it to digital in order to do the transfer. There may an exception that I dont know about but you may be limited in the use.
    Gabriel
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your Mini-DVI on your Mac is a video OUT only - ye canna stuff the images inta th' computer that way, Jim.

You need either a converter, or a camera with pass-through capability.