Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamuelTan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey guys. I'm a long-time PC user who has finally given up on PCs and am very seriously considering buying the Macbook Pro 15-inch.

I'm relatively clueless about Mac issues and especially about transferring my data from PC to Macs, so I would appreciate some help on the following:

1) How do I transfer my files from my current hard drive to a Mac? Is there some sort of wizard that can sort my data for me?

I have a hard drive with years of documents, software, old backups; and I understand that I can basically plug and play via USB. However I have absolutely no clue what files should goes to which locations on a Mac.

2) Should I bother getting the discrete graphics version?

I use my laptop mainly for word/spreadsheet-processing and browsing the Internet, but I also do some products/marketing graphics design on Adobe CS3, and some light gaming (mostly RPGs, no heavy-duter shooters like Crysis etc). I'm wondering if the integrated graphics version is enough for me. Heck, is the 13" version or even the Macbook good enough for me?

3) Lastly, are there common issues with the Macbook Pro 15" I should know about?

Thanks guys

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I can only really answer 1 for you. Put the files wherever you want. But on your Hard Drive you will have folders named Photos, Movies, Music etc.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
1) How do I transfer my files from my current hard drive to a Mac? Is there some sort of wizard that can sort my data for me?

Yes, there's the Migration Assistant which works well. Or you could have them do it for you (free!) at the Apple Store.

I have a hard drive with years of documents, software, old backups; and I understand that I can basically plug and play via USB. However I have absolutely no clue what files should goes to which locations on a Mac.

It's pretty simple, I put pictures in the Pictures folder, movies in the Movies folder, etc. You can create folders as you see fit. It's pretty flexible, actually.

I use my laptop mainly for word/spreadsheet-processing and browsing the Internet, but I also do some products/marketing graphics design on Adobe CS3, and some light gaming (mostly RPGs, no heavy-duter shooters like Crysis etc). I'm wondering if the integrated graphics version is enough for me. Heck, is the 13" version or even the Macbook good enough for me?

I have an old (3+ years) MacBook without the graphics adapter, and the only time I ever have any trouble is when I try to play a 3D game, even an oldie like Deus Ex. For web browsing, music, office-type apps, and light image editing it works just fine.

3) Lastly, are there common issues with the Macbook Pro 15" I should know about?

Thanks guys

I don't know of any, but I'm sure someone will speak up if it's happened. :)

Welcome aboard, and have fun!

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Glad to hear you're considering a Mac. You might want to visit Apple's PC-to-Mac webpage to learn more on the specifics, but here's a little bit of info that may be helpful.

When you plug your hard drive into your Mac, you can drag the files off of it and put them wherever you want on the computer. On a Mac, you have a user account that contains several folders, including one called "Documents" another called "Music", one called "Pictures", etc. Just drag the files into their respective folders. Macs also come with programs to help manage your digital media (so instead of having to put all your music files from your PC into the "Music" folder, you could just drop the files into iTunes. Or, with pictures, you can just drop your images into iPhoto.). Apple also has a video that shows more about this here.

Based on what you say you'll be doing, the discrete graphics probably isn't going to be necessary. Granted, if you want better graphics when you play any games, it's definitely a plus. But otherwise, you'd never need it.

I'm wondering if the integrated graphics version is enough for me. Heck, is the 13" version or even the Macbook good enough for me?
It'd probably be just fine, as long as you take note of what I said above. As long as you don't need the extra power of the discrete card, you should be fine.

Falling in love with it? :)

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
1) I would buy a cheap 200GB external hard drive, pop all the files (not applications) that you want onto the external drive (copy them over), text documents, PDFs, music, picture, anything important. Plug it into your Mac and copy them over.

You can put the files anywhere you want, on your desktop, in your pictures, music, video folders etc... similar to Windows.

2) I think you'd be just fine with the MacBook, but then again I cannot be certain, if you can wait until the new year (Jan/Feb/Mar) before buying a MBP, the new line is coming soon. You don't want to buy your new Mac and then it be outdated in a month or two.

What kind of RPGs are we talking? any names?

Links:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html

The first link has lots of graphics cards comparing FPS in certain games, the second is the link to the 9400M and how it performs in some games (although I'm unsure of it's accuracy I use this site to determine how good mobile graphics cards are).
3) I have no knowledge of any, but I think it'd be best to wait for the new MBPs.

SamuelTan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like becoming a mac is really pretty easy. I'm about to buy the 15-inch, 2.8 GHz model online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.