Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Myself, and a few others that I know, have been interested in converting some .avi files into iDVD ('05, don't have '06 yet) compatible files.

Now, running the .avi file through ffmpegX I'm able to create a .mp4 video which is compatible with iDVD; however, when imported into the iDVD program the files size is nearly tripled (A 233.5mb files becomes 2.9gb).

This, of course, is no good... It would be useless to burn only one movie on the disc, when I could burn a whole bunch of movies in plain old .avi format. But leaving in the .avi format means I can watch them on a normal DVD player.

So am I missing a step, or is this just something that can't be done?

joelwnelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
Try the Flip4Mac WMV Import tool. It's not free, but it should do what you want.

Also, I noticed when importing video from a digital camera that file formats like .mpg and .avi DO inflate in size when imported to DVD format (mp4 or mpeg2). That is normal.

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
it's not something that you can do in idvd 5 or 6.

toast can handle avi just fine though... as well as just about any other video file you want to throw at it.... mpeg1, mpeg2, vob, dvd titles, etc.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Like it says in this thread, you can also use Quicktime Pro to convert the .avi files to MPEG-2, which can be imported to iDVD. I'm not sure how this affects the file size though.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
pixelize said:
Myself, and a few others that I know, have been interested in converting some .avi files into iDVD ('05, don't have '06 yet) compatible files.

Now, running the .avi file through ffmpegX I'm able to create a .mp4 video which is compatible with iDVD; however, when imported into the iDVD program the files size is nearly tripled (A 233.5mb files becomes 2.9gb).

This, of course, is no good... It would be useless to burn only one movie on the disc, when I could burn a whole bunch of movies in plain old .avi format. But leaving in the .avi format means I can watch them on a normal DVD player.

So am I missing a step, or is this just something that can't be done?
Making your .avi files iDVD-compatible is as simple as installing the DivX 6 codec.

Leonida

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Milano, It
Try MPEG Streamclip

FEATURES
MPEG Streamclip lets you play and edit QuickTime, DV, AVI, MPEG-4, MPEG-1; MPEG-2 or VOB files or transport streams with MPEG, PCM, or AC3 audio (MPEG-2 playback component required); DivX (with DivX 5.1.1) and WMV (with Flip4Mac WMV Player). MPEG Streamclip can export all these formats to QuickTime, DV/DV50, AVI/DivX and MPEG-4 with high quality encoding and even uncompressed or HD video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.