Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Hi all,

Yes, I know there are several threads on this subject, including the sticky on the front page), and I do know how to use the phones-out (My stereo doesn't have a dedicated "line out" jack) to line-in on the back of the Mac Pro.

But I'm wondering - I have the Line 6 Toneport UX1, which has the following:

Mic in (XLR)
Instrument in (1/4")
Headphone out (1/4")
2 Line inputs (1/4")
1 Stereo Monitor input (1/4")

And on the top, both a mic gain and volume knob.

The connection into the computer would be USB.

Would I get better quality by sending the audio through this device, rather than just using a standard 1/8" -> 1/8" stereo cable, and which input should I plug into?

Thanks for any advice!

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I didn't even know they made something like this. I have an old "all in one" stereo (i.e. not component parts) - I might see if I can get one of these for Christmas...

For now, I only have like 2 or 3 tapes to convert - does anyone know if my way would work?

Thanks for the link though, I'll most likely end up getting one of these :)

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The line 6 will give you a better result as it is a dedicated piece of pro gear.

There are the USB cassette decks and turntables, however the vast majority are really cheap, getting anything good is going to cost some money, and once you get your tapes on to the computer, it just an expensive cassette deck.

I would go with the line 6

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I have recorded just using RCA out from a Sony cassette deck to a Y adapter with a 1/8" out in the audio in/ mic port. There are various filter options on the hardware.
I've also used an iMic with Final Vinyl software via USB.

The direct connection seems to work well as a quick and easy set up for commercial tapes as the initial recorded quality is limited anyway.

I've used Garageband for input as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.