Converting from External Disks to a NAS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ash06, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ash06 macrumors member

Hi,
    :)
    I'm seeking advice on a project:

I currently use my main iMac as a Plex Media Server (A Home Theatre/Media organiser for those unfamiliar)

The problem is: I have around 4-6TB of media which is stored over 5 External drives plugged in via USB & each using their own power supply/adapter.

What i wish to do is move all my media into a NAS box & move it into the study room next to the router (so plugged in via ethernet I hope - or whatevers' fastest)

I have reaseached a little & it looks like FreeNAS or the like are the best option for this, but I'm unsure on the filesystem compatibility or how to configure it so the drives appear in finder as shared volumes.

Issues:
    • My disk's all use different File Systems [NTFS, FAT 32, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] (don't ask how.. it just got this way over time :p )
    • I can't erase data on any of the disks - so I'm looking for a 'plug in' & 'share' solution :confused:

What is available to me:
    • An old functioning P4 PC
    • Motherboard has 4 sata ports if thats any help

Any help is appreciated.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

My advice to you would be to look at NAS solutions from Synology, they are far simpler to use and setup. The do cost a little more but you will be happier in the long run, especially if you don't have the technical wherewithal to handle freenas.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. ash06 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for introducing me to Synology & pointing me to a comparison thread. It helped a lot. :D