Converting from PC to Mac! Which Macbook is for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zxcvbnm,, Aug 18, 2009.

1. zxcvbnm, macrumors newbie

Hi all, :)

I've been looking into purchasing a macintosh for months now, and I've tried doing some extensive research. I've come down to the Macbook, or the MBP 15". I also wonder if the Macbook (white) gets dirty easily? are fingerprints and dust always visible? I really wish they still made the aluminum kind :(

anyhow, I currently use 15-16" inch screen, so the only other thing holding me back from the Macbook is size. HOWEVER, without having money to burn I don't want to be sucked in to that, just cuz of the size. Let me list the things I'll use the laptop for.

- Internet mostly (surfing, email, facebook)
    - iTunes/iLife
    - Photoshop
    - Word Processing/Invoices
    - Presentations only on ocassion

The price difference from the MBP to the MB is significant, so being someone who's a virgin to the Mac world, I figured some ppl of experience could give me some good advice. Please help!

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

See the notebooks buyer's guide.

So it looks like the baseline 13" and 15" Aluminum Unibody MacBook Pros are the best fit for you! Hope this helps.

3. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

You can still buy the aluminium Macbook check the refurbished store, you can get them cheap, and with SSD drives!

4. zxcvbnm, thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnks.

So the refurbished products are obviously reliable?
    Good prices in the aus store, just no aluminum macbooks unfortunately.

5. Griff110 macrumors member

I have the base model 13" mbp and use photoshop I was unsure to be honest about a 13" screen but actually find it a joy to use, whichever you choose you are buying a quality product, let us know what you get :)

6. zxcvbnm, thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I've just checked out the refurbished products, & I can save $1000 on the 15" MBP.. it looks like an impressive deal and I see past topics present that they're also reliable. Looks too good to be true! :)

7. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Your original post confused me because you seemed to be choosing between the white macbook and the 15" macbook pro. You were also wishing they still made the unibody macbook.

It seems to me you have forgotten about the 13" Macbook Pro, which looks like it would be your best option.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Any macbook sold either new or refurbished today will do what you're wanting to do.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be honest, if you're not going to hook up the laptop to an external monitor, Photoshop isn't going to be all that fun to use on a 13" display.

imo, the price difference is worth it, if that means I can use the software I need w/o much of any headaches.

Just my$.02

10. zxcvbnm, thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I apologise for any confusion.
    Thnks very much for everyone's opinion.
    My update is that I've purchased a refurbished 15" 2.4GHz MBP.
    The price saving was so significant that it was my best option, as well as best value. We will see what happens, :)

11. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

MBP with dual Graphic Card.
    thats what you need. :D

12. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Yes. Like new. :D

You can post here now!
    Welcome to Mac.