Converting from RipIt to Handbrake (Loss of Quality)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TEC6, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TEC6 macrumors newbie

I use RipIt to to initially rip the dvd onto my mac and then I use handbrake to convert the file to MP4 format in order to put it into my itunes library. I have just recently began putting my TV Show DVD seasons onto my computer and have noticed a change in the quality for the worst. I have watched the MPV format video via RipIt and the quality is fine. Seems like when converting from Ripit to Handbrake MP4 the quality becomes worse. I use the "Universal" setting and have played around with different types of presets and picture settings with no luck. Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. TEC6 thread starter macrumors newbie

The dvd does not lose quality with my ripping program (RipIt). It loses quality once I convert it using handbrake

4. simsaladimbamba

That is to be expected. Maybe use one of the Apple TV presets or play around with the "RF" setting: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CRFGuide

5. VideoCave macrumors member

re ripit

I looked up RipIt and it seems like theres two ways it works. The first is it is ripping the videots folder which basically copies the raw dvd files to your computer. So as you say doesn't compress the video at all. But can also compress on the fly which is what Handbrake only does.

So if you actually are ripping the videots folder then dropping that into Handbrake you are taking an extra step that is not really needed.
    You don't gain anything in doing it this way because this is the way I actually used to do it myself.

Whether you are in RipIt or Handbrake just choose a preset to convert to and mp4 that you can then drop into iTunes. It will take about two hours to convert. But thats all you need to do.

In HandBrake use either the "Universal or AppleTV" preset and go. Don't adjust any settings.