Converting gif's to jpg's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OceansTech, Nov 28, 2014.

1. OceansTech macrumors newbie

Is there a program that can do batch conversions of gif's to jpg's? I've got about 1000 gif's I need to convert and have no intention of opening each one and saving it as a jpg.

OceansTech

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

If you have Photoshop, it can do it by running a simple Action. Here is a link on how to create an Action in PS. Always do a test run first to make sure you set the action up correctly before doing what you need done. I use actions all the time in PS for batch processing. I am sure you will get others.

There is also Pixillion Image Converter that can do the job and is free.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

If you don't have photoshop, it's probably possible to do this with an Automator workflow directing Preview.

4. Yvan256, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

You should not convert GIFs into a JPEGs. :eek:

GIF is a lossless, palette-based image format and JPEG is a lossy, 16.7M colours image format.

Graphics file formats.

What this means is that if you convert a GIF into a JPEG, you will lose image quality because you'll be going from lossless to lossy, and your 256-colours images won't magically gain 16.7M colours either. And if you try to maintain the quality by using "100%" for the JPEG quality parameter you will only end up with a file that's even bigger than the GIF. You will probably hit the same file size as the GIF even with a much lower JPEG quality setting, too.

It would help if you could tell us why you need to convert your images.