Converting handwritten notes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac-mania, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

I'm starting classes tomorrow and I've got a question I wanted to run by you guys. I was wondering if there was a way to basically take my handwritten notes, run them through a scanner, or take a photo of them, and then import them to my PC. Now, I know Evernote will read and do some OCR conversion so that the documents can be searched, but what about a straight image-to-text conversion. I'd prefer not having to write my notes over again, so a solution to this problem would be great!

Needless to say, I have no idea if anything like this exists, I'd be happy to spend some money on software, as long as its reasonable.

Thanks in advance!

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

This is not image-to-text conversion but here's how I'd do it.
    1. Scan (or photograph) your h'written docs, save images as .jpg,
    2. Open AppleWorks > Drawing,
    3. Size the AW drawing page to maximum allowable for printing, either Portrait or Landscape layout, and use Window > Page View,
    4. Use Format > Document and choose the number of pages down you think you'll need,
    5. Import the scanned .jpg docs into AW. They're imported as Objects, which you can resize using Arrange > Scale By Percent, or resize manually using the 'handles' at the corners.

Okay, the downside is that you can't edit the text of the .jpg's. But if you're happy with your h'written notes anyway, you shouldn't need to edit them. What you can do however is to add text or images as addenda above or below the Objects, in fact there's a lot of modification you can do using AW.

In AW, you can save the Drawing docs as .JPEG (QT) which means they can open on a Win PC. You can cart your notes about on a flash drive for use with almost any computer.

3. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestion. While its not totally what I want to do, it might be something for me to look into as a back-up plan. However if someone out there still knows how to do something like this, I'd really appreciate the advice.

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane