Converting HD footage to Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by katlove, Dec 31, 2008.

1. katlove macrumors newbie

I just bought the Canon Vixia HV30 camcorder and have recorded a couple hours of HD video on some HD miniDV tapes ... how do I convert the video to a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? If I'm looking to purchase an ATV - do I even need to convert the video? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

COnvert it to Bluray only if you indent to burn bluray discs. Toast 9.0 will do the conversion and burning for you. But the black discs ae about $10 each right now. Toast will burn to cheaper DVD media and these should play but you can fit at most about 20 minutes of video on a DVD.

If you have an ATV then you may not want bluray. But remember the ATV does 720p while blueray is 1080p

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Whoa Chris... Blu-Ray can be anything. 480i to 1080p and everything in between.

I've tried the Toast Blu on DVD setup and it sucks. Toast absolutely sucks at encoding and the stuff ends up looking like garbage. I had a 720p24 video i was trying to encode, and it made it interlaced garbage. I do the Apple Compressor blu ray encode, make BD ISO from Adobe Encore and burn in Disc Utility since Encore 3.0 is a pile of steaming stuff.

Honestly. Skip the ATV. It doesn't do much. Get the WD Media Player. Plug it in a USB HDD and play away. Check it out.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Remember, Blu-Ray is not a format of video it is a type of disc which is the reason Blu-Ray can be any video format and even a data disc. HD, 720 or 1080, is HD which can be burned to a Blu-Ray disc. A new Blu-Ray movie is probably 1080p (1920x1080 progressive scan) which is currently the most common, highest video format. There is 3K, 4K, and 5K available but those formats cannot be burned to a DVD and that's a whole different story. Here is a great diagram of the most common different formats of video. And here is a great diagram of interlaced versus progressive scan in case anyone need clarification on that.

Happy New Year,
    David

5. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, definitely helpful!!