Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Substance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Bloomington, Illinois, USA
Hey everyone, I'm been messing around trying to convert some HDTV files to get them to run on the AppleTV. I've been using Handbrake and the default AppleTV setting with a little messing around on top of that. I have no problem getting files into iTunes but the AppleTV is another matter all together.

The stumbling block appears to be frame rates. These files tend to be 50fps and when I try to convert them to 30fps, the resulting mp4 still looks sharp but seems to have a little stutter to it and no longer looks fluid.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to proceed. Am I stuck with having these video files in my iTunes library but won't be able to watch them on AppleTV? (Unless Apple comes out with improved version that supports more formats.) Or is there a way to convert these files after all?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The stumbling block appears to be frame rates. These files tend to be 50fps and when I try to convert them to 30fps, the resulting mp4 still looks sharp but seems to have a little stutter to it and no longer looks fluid.
Naturally, dropping almost half of the video frames will make it more "jerky" looking. Tough to get around that.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
If the source files are 50fps then you should have better luck converting them to 25fps as this will remove exactly every other frame. 25fps divides equally into 50fps where as 30fps dosen't.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If the source files are 50fps then you should have better luck converting them to 25fps as this will remove exactly every other frame. 25fps divides equally into 50fps where as 30fps dosen't.

That is what I have done with my Top Gear BBC HD rips and it works fine.

Substance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Bloomington, Illinois, USA

This makes some sense...to the point that I'm shocked I haven't tried it before. I believe I've only messed around with 30fps. I'll give it a shot and respond back to this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.