Converting higher bit rate songs on my iPhone makes ringtones disappear

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Felder71, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Felder71 macrumors member

Has anyone seen this? If I use the option to convert higher bit rate songs to 128 AAC for my iPhone, I can no longer see my ringtones that I've synced on the iPhone itself. When I plug the iPhone in, iTunes shows that they are on my phone but when selecting ringtones for contacts, they are not visible. When I uncheck the option and resync, the ringtones are now there. I've tried changing the name of the tones but no luck. Anyone else have this issue or a solution? Thanks.

2. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Finally, someone with the same problem! I've been searching for an answer for days for this. Have you found out with the solution is yet? Or anyone with the answer on here!?

AnDy

3. xfusejc macrumors 6502

It's not just me then. I keep trying everything I can think of to no avail.

4. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Still no one any wiser? It's obviously not a one off..

5. icecold0913 macrumors member

Got the same problem. Less than half of my ringtones are syncing.
    Could it be because some of them are over 128 kbps? Do they need to be converted to a lower bitrate?

6. katzcrawford macrumors newbie

the missing ones were not encoded by garageband

The only ringtones of mine that were missing were ones that I created by making an AAC copy and trimming the start and stop times, then saving as m4r files and adding to iTunes. The ones that were made using garageband were intact. I couldn't find any solution other than to drag them to garageband and then add them to iTunes again (deleting the older ones). Now they sync to my iPhone.

7. Felder71 thread starter macrumors member

I finally figured it out!

The above poster gave me an idea and I've finally solved the mystery. If you check the converting higher bit rate songs, ringtones won't sync over unless they are 128 kbps or less. So when you used your iTunes songs to make ringtones through iTunes with original songs, they probably have the original bit rate. But going through GarageBand, will by default, compress them to less than 128 (96 kbps or something), so anything you send through there will sync over.

You can simply change the ringtone back to AAC, add it to iTunes, convert it down to 112 kbps or something, then change the AAC back to a ringtone, and it will sync.

Additionally, almost anything you download from audiko.net should be lower than 128 kbps and work fine.

In the future, before you use any music to create a ringtone, downgrade the kbps first.

Glad that I figured it out so I can use the feature and free up several GBs.

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon