converting I movie to youtube

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by djcamille, Dec 28, 2008.

1. djcamille macrumors newbie

djcamille

Hey.. I shot a music video with a decent camera but in the $1,000 range, so not a professional one by any means. I edited it in I movie and added a lot of effects, transitions, etc. The finished video is just under 20gigs. I have tried a lot of ways to export it out of I movie and compress it for you tube, but it looks like S*#%!!! I have asked advice from some video guys and have gotten all kinds of suggestions. They haven't been successful and I really don't want to take out a lot of the effects despite being told that is probably why it doesn't look good on you tube. Can someone help me? I spent so much time making this video and all I want to do is put it on you tube and not have it lose its overall look! THANK YOU!!!!!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Whatever you do, it's going to lose quality when uploaded to YouTube. They Flash encode their videos. They offer three types of resolution based on what you upload it in (normal, high, and HD). I don't know the restriction on file size off the top of my head for uploading video to YouTube. But there is a 10min time length limit for anyone who is just a regular member, not a director, musician, guru, etc. so you may have to do part 1, 2, etc. Hope I could help, don't be so worried if your video doesn't have the high or HD quality option in the first few days of t being uploaded. It sometimes takes a little while for YouTube to offer it.

3. djcamille thread starter macrumors newbie

djcamille

thanks

thank you. the video is actually under 4 minutes. so at least I can just upload it once. :) I just want it to look semi decent despite the compression.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It's under 4 mins and is almost 20gigs?! WOW! It must be 1080x1920 and have tons of visual effects. What are your settings when exporting though? And I would be happier if my video was offered in normal and high quality than normal and HD. HD on YouTube is having a lot of problems like the video being off sync with the audio, stopping then going high speed to catch up to where it should be, and streams terribly slow even on my T1 at home.:( Hope your video makes it up looking great!:D

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

normal youtube accounts only have 1gb of upload. and partners have 20gb,
    first think about that, and to get a Hd video on youtube it must be a 720 minimum res

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Thanks, even if you have a DV (not HD) movie it will be eligible for high quality but not HD.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

There are a few tutorials out there. Here are my two. I only have a normal account on YouTube, so I was working within those parameters. I'm also not sure if the Mac is still limited to 100MB uploads.

What I don't understand is how a 4 min DV video can be 20GB when DV typically takes 13GB per hour! I'm curious if your video is in some uncompressed format, and if those effects added a lot to the size.

I posted some videos before they implemented the HQ option and see they eventual got upgraded. I just went to those videos and see there is no HQ option because they seem to be in HQ now. If not just my connection and they still default to the low res crap, and you are displaying your video on another home page, you can link to the HQ one.

Looks like I'm going to have to update my YouTube tutorial. They have been making many changes.

Remember that YouTube is not the only choice.

Lastly, it is iMoive not 'I movie', and it is YouTube, not 'you tube'. ;)

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I just calculated it out and a 4 min dv video should be about .8 to .9 gigs. I see how effects and transition can make a video weigh more but not 20gigs for 4 mins. I think iMovie captures compressed though. Please correct me if I am wrong

9. djcamille thread starter macrumors newbie

djcamille

Thank u for the advice. I am totally clueless about what I'm doing. I am trying to learn though. I shot most of the video with a semi decent hd camera,and some of the footage with a little crappy one. The nicer one was lent to me and now gone so I am in the market for a camera in the $600 range. There are so many options and I realize the importance of the form that it leaves my camera and gets uploaded into my editing software. So any suggestions on that one?:)
    I did finally export it out of I movie using "expert settings" in which I chose the MPEG 4. It worked and got onto you tube looking decent. It also offers "watch in hq" which is cool. If you get a sec check it out! www.youtube.com/djcamille007

it's called "Funky Jew"

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ok, I'm gonna check out the video right after I post this. Happy to hear you got the video up though. When you converted it to MPEG-4 it should of taken it down into the single digits depending on how much you compressed it to. It is still a digital video mystery on how that video is 20GB in 4min.

--AFTER I WATCHED IT--

Ok, I now see how it could possibly be 8GB, MAYBE. But good job on the vid. It's funny. Nice that it is available in HQ. Good job Camille!

11. djcamille thread starter macrumors newbie

djcamille

it's a complete mystery!! lol

I did add a ton of effects though... and there's a music track added as well.. hmmm

12. djcamille thread starter macrumors newbie

djcamille

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

First off, your welcome.
    You did do a ton of effects, but when exported, theoretically, the effects become video and shouldn't weigh that much. The effects still do take up more that a regular I-Frame but everything varies in size. This would be a whole thread in itself so we shouldn't start talking bout I-Frames though.The music is compressed out of Logic or GarageBand which would make it around a few MB.

BTW, please do remember iMovie NOT I movie and YouTube NOT you tube

Regards,
    dpa

14. xStep macrumors 68000

You're welcome. Glad to here the advanced export mode worked for you.

I too watched the video and enjoyed it. Great job!