Converting iMovie to DVD-ready files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by geinstrife, Dec 24, 2008.

1. geinstrife macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm editing a friends football vids. I used handbrake to convert his dvd files to mp4, and then I converted the mp4's to .dv files that iMovie could more readily recognize. We will be editing soon, but when editing is finished, we'll need to borrow another friend's Windows computer to burn what we have onto a new DVD.

What's the best way to go through with this? First, what file format should we compress the iMovie into? And what can I use to convert the iMovie to DVD ready files? I'd like to make it possible to bring the files to a windows computer and burn a new DVD without any trouble crossing over OS's.

Any help's appreciated:D

EDIT: Can I prepare an iDVD on my mac and transfer it for burning on a Windows?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

A PC will not be able to read an iDVD file. You can also just burn it on your machine unless your Mac doesn't have a writable drive.:( Your best way to go through with getting it from Mac to PC is putting it on a USB drive or emailing. The problem you may encounter with email is that the file may be too big depending on the size of your football project(s) so it will not be efficient to email them. As far as getting the files ready: Save the project(s) as a .mov file in iMovie. Using MPEG Streamclip convert the file(s) to MPEG-4, here or AVS Video Converter for Windows, here. Use AVS if you can't for some reason convert the video on your Mac.

3. geinstrife thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right, my eMac doesn't have a DVD burner. I do have a USB drive so the size of the project isn't of importance. I'll need to use a Windows to burn a DVD.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes. When you come to the burning stage, burn to file. It'll be an ISO that you can then transfer to any other computer with a burner.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ok, you could also take the USB drive to a nearby Apple store with a DVD. They are most of the time pretty nice and will let you do it but don't count on it. And man, an eMac! That's ANCIENT!:eek:

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

Also you're get alot higher quality if you go back and rerip the DVD files to the DV codec directly. Since you said these videos were his, they should not be encrypted so you don't need to use handbrake... just use MPEGStreamclip directly and select all of the video files on the DVD at once .. MPEGstreamclip will handle it correctly.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Very food point. I didn't think of saying that. Handbrake will not allow the different file types that MPEG Streamclip offers you to rip and convert to.

8. geinstrife thread starter macrumors newbie

Conclusion

We went to the mac store with the hard drive, and everything went smoothly ;)

I copied the .img's into disk utility, I think, and burning them from there was simple.