Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Almost an impossible thing to do... except for:

http://www.markzware.com/id2q/

Full price: US$199

There's a trial download. (Note: Conversion is performed to the best standard achievable by current technology but will not be 100%. Use of this product is likely to require some manual processing to achieve the desired result.)

• Supports Mac QuarkXPress v4.1 to v5.0
• Converts Mac InDesign v1.x to v2.0

Quark 4 (and lower) files to Indesign, yes. But not entirely accurately in all cases.

What kind of files do you have that you need to convert to Quark? If they don't need any further editing, then maybe just placing them within the Quark docs as PDFs might do... maybe some exporting to XML or HTML might do at a pinch but I can hardly imagine that's going to be satisfactory.

gretchen66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
i am in a situation where i have created a document in cs2 with several links and text fields and i need to be able to provide this document in cs or quark....any suggestions how to save down these files to cs?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
wow. i can't imagine you'd WANT to do this unless you really, really had to. I think you'll find it easier to re-build things in quark than to convert them from .indd files.

whew. that gives me a headache just thinking about it.

have you used any native artwork files in the Indesign files?
have you used any opentype fonts?
have you used any transparency or type or image effects?

basically, a LOT of the things that people use in InDesign don't have Quark 4/5 equivalents, and that's why you're probably better off re-building from "scratch" in Quark.

As long as you aren't using indesign CS or CS2 (which you probably are), and as long as you're not trying to go to Quark 6 (which you probably are, also), then I guess it's possible that if you've got very, very basic designs that use only type 1 fonts and .tif/.eps links with no special indesign-only properties, you might be able to get it to work.

Can you be more detailed about your problem?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
nevermind on my last post. I hadn't seen your reply yet... :)

moving from CS 2 to CS 1 is easier...i think there's an export option for that.

Going to Quark (especially 6) is basically impossible.

gretchen66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
thanks for your comments. i have tried all the export options and i can't seem to save the files down to cs. it looks like the best solution for me is, unfortunately, to rebuild this layout in quark. Thanks again for your help.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
you are able to bring an indesign cs 2 document to indesign cs1.

First update Adobe indesign cs to 3.0.1
second. save your adobe cs2 file as an adobe indesign exchange file.

You will now be able to open it in indesign cs 1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.