Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm not entirely sure which HTML standard the site I have inherited was written to - probably HTML 4 Transitional, according to the W3C validator service. I'd like to convert the site, and all its component pages, to the modern HTML 5 standard. I've found a Java tool that could potentially help with the conversion process (by normalizing the HTML). However, it looks like the conversion job needs to be done mostly manually, which I am fine with. That being said, got any suggestions for doing this? If seeing the site itself would help, this here link will take you there.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
How about a fresh restart? And don't migrate ? Sirious. It looks very outdated.
Or does the target group include those using lynx as browser ?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have to agree. Start over. Best way of doing it. Besides your site could use some toning down. Those background are loud. And just a small amount of structure, not much. It is user friendly and very easy to navigate though. Update it overall and I am sure you will be pleased in the end.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Okay, the new look web site has just now gone live! If you have any feedback about it, please pass it along so I can make it better.

EDIT: Oh shucks, I forgot to re-add all the menu links. Whoops, better go and fix that. :eek:

EDIT 2: All fixed now.

Last edited:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Okay, the new look web site has just now gone live! If you have any feedback about it, please pass it along so I can make it better.

EDIT: Oh shucks, I forgot to re-add all the menu links. Whoops, better go and fix that. :eek:

EDIT 2: All fixed now.

Hoping the link has changed since your original post. No offense, but all I see is some Lynx like layout (as noted earlier by another user) from 1992 or something with a moss green background, purple boxes and white text all centered.

If this is the "new" one it's not HTML 5, it's XHTML 1.0 transitional and it needs a complete overhaul with modern theming.

I'm REALLY hoping!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hoping the link has changed since your original post. No offense, but all I see is some Lynx like layout (as noted earlier by another user) from 1992 or something with a moss green background, purple boxes and white text all centered.

If this is the "new" one it's not HTML 5, it's XHTML 1.0 transitional and it needs a complete overhaul with modern theming.

I'm REALLY hoping!
You are absolutely right. I was in a bit of a rush to get this out so I fudged a few things - XHTML 1.0 instead of HTML5 is one of the compromises I had to make in order to meet my self-imposed deadline.

On that note, what I'll do is look into a better solution and apply that to the site. The results should be FAR better once that's done. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.