Converting itunes music format

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jackmileshunt, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jackmileshunt macrumors member

hi, could anybody help me, basically my itunes library is a mixture of mp3 and AAC, and i would like to convert everything to mp3, but without having lots of duplicates to have to sort through.

thanks in advance

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would you want to do that? AAC is a better more efficient format (noticeably better sound quality) and you lose sound quality whenever you convert, plus AAC takes up the exact same amount of space as MP3.

3. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

basically it it just for consistency purposes, also because i use ableton and traktor a lot. would it be better to convert all to AAC then?

4. cschreppel macrumors regular

There is nothing to be gained by converting MP3's to AAC except for file type consistency. You may actually lose some fidelity in the conversion process -- although I can't say for sure.

You WILL lose fidelity from AAC to MP3 as AAC is a slightly better file format from the minimal tests I've done.

Leave them as is. If you absolutely can't bear to be without consistent file formats, convert your MP3's to AAC.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are you going to be playing them in something that doesn't accept AAC? Do you have the orginal source files that mp3's or AAC's were made from?

If you don't have the orginal files, I don't know if I would re-encode the files into another format. You may have some issues with sound quality etc. If you have the orginal source files, then I would re-rip them in the format you want.

If you are playing them in something that accepts both then I would leave them the way they with the exception of the above sentence.

6. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks for all of your replies, i think i shall leave it for now, seems easiest. 3rd party plugins should suffice for any incompatibilites.