converting LPs to CDs

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cclapper, May 27, 2007.

1. cclapper macrumors newbie

I read through a couple of threads posted here regarding this but my question was not answered in those threads.

I have connected my turntable to my stereo receiver. I have connected the receiver from the Tape REC OUT to my iMac G5 line in port using an RCA Y 1/8" cable. When I play the LP and look at the System Preferences>Sound pane, I can see the input level moving, indicating it is receiving the sound from the LP. But I cannot hear the LP through the iMac speakers. Should I be able to listen to this LP with the internal speakers on the iMac?

I haven't even gotten to the recording in Garage Band part yet. :eek:

2. cclapper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure why I couldn't hear the sound from the internal speakers, but I did go download Audacity, and after checking Hardware and Software Playthrough in the preferences, I can hear the sound from the internal speakers while it's recording.

3. gvdv macrumors regular

4. geoffy macrumors regular

You should actually only be able to hear it while it is recording. That is how it is supposed to work. Don't turn up the volume too loudly, though or a cheap turntable can pickup the sound and reduce overall quality.