Converting Macbook Pro to desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by judaslovepony, Apr 26, 2012.

1. judaslovepony macrumors newbie

Hi All,

So my 2006 mbp broke a while ago. Doesn't turn on when plugged in, the battery doesn't charge, just dead. Warranty expired pretty much a week before it broke, I even got AppleCare.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is anything stopping me from cannibalizing this badboy and making it a desktop. I don't know if anyone out there has tried it, but I think it might be as easy as just getting a new I/O board and associated accessories? Of course I don't really know what the problem is with the computer. The light on the charger still comes on when it's plugged in so the I/O might not even be the problem. Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't even know what the problem is, how does converting it to a desktop make any sense? It doesn't work - sell it for parts and buy a new computer if you don't feel like messing with it to localize the problem.

3. StUPoT macrumors member

I kind of did what you are trying to do...

I took an old MacBook without the screen and re routed the wifi antennas so I could solder them onto the underside of the keyboard. Then I plugged it into my TV and there she stays as a media centre :) works very well