Converting MKV files to play on PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JasonBourne1, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

Firstly I wanna apologize if this thread has been done before or should be in another section. But i was wondering if anyone can help me.
    I have MKV files on my MBP which I wanna stream on to my PS3. PS3 doesn't recognize MKV files, I was wondering if there is a free app that will convert or redux it so it will work, without it loosing picture quality.:confused:

2. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

try this application. PS3 Media Server http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

takes a little time to setup but it should work well streaming. I manage to stream Planet Earth quite well over a wired connection.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Handbrake might be able to.

I tried it, but didn't get any audio, unless I first used Quicktime to save it as a .mov container, and then put it through Handbrake.

4. Takilleur macrumors newbie

You guys should use the torrent downloader Vuze.

It does it all, from the convertion to PS3 supported format to sharing it to your local PS3

MKV is supported by Vuze and its totally free

5. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I've tried several apps to try to convert my 720p mkv movies to VOB, but upon completion the resolution of the video is different from the original. Does anyone know of a good app that will convert the file and keep the AC3 audio intact so that I can play the files natively on my PS3?

I've tried iSkysoft Video convertor, and even though it converts the file without problems, the resolution changes. Wish there was a much simpler way to do this on a Mac.

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I use PlayBack Media server from YAzsoft, its not free but I'm not going to tell you that you dont have to pay to get it:)

It works very well and it also can covert MKV to MP4 files for the PS3.

But honestly I still want something like TVersity on windows to be available for mac.

7. descendent87 macrumors newbie

I use AVIdemux to convert the videos to mp4 with aac audio so that they will play in iTunes and on my PS3, all you need to do is load the video, leave the video codec to copy (no loss of quality) and change the audio codec to aac (and choose bitrate) then select mp4 as the container.
    212rikanmofo all you'd need to do is leave the video and audio on copy and just change the container to mp4 and they'll play on the ps3 with no loss of quality

8. make15 macrumors newbie

9. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use Reggie Ashworth's VidConvert under OSX. It's drag and drop and supports a number of file types. It's $7.99

http://www.reggieashworth.com/vidconvert

My go to app runs under a VM: Video Catalyst. It's fast, has a lot of options, and can compress files to save disk space, and can rip directly from DVDs (BluRay is in Beta and needs AnyDVD). It's also inexpensive if you already have a VM or Bootcamp partition. It's $9.99

http://www.tools4movies.com

Both developers are very responsive and make great products. Either are a great option to convert mov (or many other files).