Converting mkv to avi playable to phillips DVP5990

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Bizbo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Bizbo macrumors newbie

So i got this dvp5990 http://reviews.cnet.com/video-playe...0-37/4507-6463_7-33004022.html?tag=mncol;rnav so i could watch divx movies right, but it's also hdmi, so i thought i would try downloading some high def movies and see how close to high def it would be on my high def tv. problem is mkv of course, the last thing i tried was to use handbrake, convert it to avi with that, using xvid, and making sure it was limited to like 4.2 gigs for the dvd to be able to burn onto. I got a pretty good looking,sexy if i may add, avi file from that that was just about the right size. So i burn it using toast , divx file, plop it in my dvd player, and it shows up with 3 listings of the same thing. just ' Wanted, Wanted and Wanted '. The first file i click on, it just shows the background and nothing else, on the dvd player's little screen it says loading, but doesn't really seem to be doing anything ,i tried leaving it and going asleep and waking up but it hasn't done anything. the other 2 i try to click on it just brings me back to the menu right away. this wasn't my first try ever i'm starting to get annoyed here, please help!

2. Bizbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay well I've been doing some hunting, got mkvtools, put my wanted.mkv file into it and i tried testing it with the movie player that comes with it and i get:

FIXME:Hardenabling SSE and SSE2 without detection
    Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
    ADecoder init failed :(
    No accelerated IMDCT transform found
    New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
    Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
    subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: uninit_vo
    - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
    Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
    disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
    It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
    gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
    DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
    won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Do Shell Script Statement: '/Users/blabla/Desktop/MKVtools 2.1/MKVtools.app/Contents/Resources/mplayer' '/Bobs'\''s Music/Wanted.720p.Bluray.x264-SEPTiC/wtd08-septic.mkv' -vid 0 -aid 0

it says cannot find dts codec.. do i need to get a dts codec for quicktime or mkvtools or something? i dunno if anyone else can make more sense of that for me that would be great, thanks in advance.

edit: Well I found this script http://mine.jakewharton.com/projects/list_files/mkvdts2ac3 , apparently it's a nifty little script that lets you demux the mkv and make the audio into ac3 and then demuxed back into the mkv with one command line as says here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Convert_DTS_to_AC3 - that WOULD be really handy if it worked. but no, im stuck at a wall again because the script is not on the site, it just comes up with a 404. Does anyone have this script? I'll email the guy who made it but I'm not sure if he'll even read my email..

3. emmgunn macrumors member

The problem is that the the old version of mencoder/mplayer used by MKVtools was not compiled to handle DTS. Unfortunately I'm not a UNIX expert, and compiling static builds of these tools that can be distributed to a variety of systems is not a trivial matter. MKVtools basically uses binaries that are readily available on the net and unfortunately, these haven't been updated for years. Luckily, if you have a little bit of skill with the command line and terminal, I've heard reports of users having success using macports to compile their own version of mencoder and mplayer. Just be sure to enable DTS and then stick the resulting binary into the MKVtools package and hopefully you'll be able to process DTS audio.

The other issue that you may run into is, unless things have changed since the last time I used my Phillips dvd player (which has been a while since I started using a mac to play videos on my HDTV), these player typically won't play HD avi videos. Again, I haven't kept up with the latest phillips dvd player capabilities, so I could be wrong about that limitation.

Good luck.