Converting MKV to MP4 (HD to Apple TV) Help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RRutter, Oct 11, 2008.

1. RRutter macrumors 6502

Hello! I was wondering how the quality would look if I were to convert a MKV (High Definition, 720p Movie) to MP4 (For my Apple TV.) Would the quality still be HD Quality? Thanks so much.

:apple:

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Every movie that is on my :apple:tv is a .mkv to .mp4 and they look awesome! I use VisualHub to convert them and they look great I can barely notice a difference.

3. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

I, too, use VisualHub, and have MKV's that I would like to convert - I'm glad to hear that they'll be HD even when converted - thanks for the quick reponse!

4. frederickfowles macrumors newbie

MKV sound issues

I use Visual Hub and if I use the 5.1 Apple Tv setting the sound will not play on the Apple TV or Mac without extra components so I think the standard setting for Apple TV would be the one to use with VH and MKV files.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's odd, it works fine here ... I just bought my AppleTV a couple days ago but I've already converted a couple of MKVs (one 720p and one 1080p) using VisualHub's "AppleTV 5.1" preset and it worked fine. Although only one of the movies had discreet 5.1 sound - the other was that 4.1 crap that iTMS movies use - must've been a difference in the source.

6. snowmaan macrumors regular

Guys, two questions:

1. What is a MKV?
    2. VisualHub is no longer available - the company shut down, is there anywhere I can get it still??

I have a whole bunch of AVI's I want to convert to watch on my ATV, aghhh

7. ibglowin macrumors regular

1) A container like AVI

2) Bitorrent is your friend...........

8. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

A cotainer like AVI? No.. It's the symbol for HD. It's an HD movie.

9. Alrescha macrumors 68020

MKV is certainly a container format like AVI and MOV.

A.

10. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

MKV is a HD version of a movie.

11. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

The Last Logo You'll See of Visualhub

Here is the last logo you'll see on visualhub.app. RIP, visualhub :(

[​IMG]

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

13. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

14. refulgentis macrumors regular

LOL, that's not true at all.
    MKV = Matroska = a CONTAINER that will hold a huge variety of video, audio, and subtitle formats. Thanks to the large variety of video codecs that are used in HD-DVD/Blu-ray (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, etc.) and audio codecs, and also because its royalty free, people who rip HD-DVDs/Blu-rays will tend to use this format.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Nope. You are incorrect. MKV is simply a container. I have a few MKV standard def movies, and everyone of my high-def movies are in a container other than MKV, notably MPEG-4 and m2ts (Blu-Ray).

16. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

MKV is a container.

I use Visualhub to convert .mkv to .mov, using the AppleTV 5.1 2.0 setting.
    Takes a little bit of time but comes out with very very very similar quality. Only thing I noticed different was the reproduction of blacks--ideally in low light situations was a little weak with the .mov compared to the .mkv. I don't care, as long as my high def movies play on my ATV!

edit: PS- Search before you post.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=334477

17. Thomss macrumors member

MKV is a container, not a format.
    I've converted some MKV files to .MOV in VH and they still look great.

18. ibglowin macrumors regular

Get your facts straight before hand...........

K?

19. Benicio10 macrumors member

I'm thinking of switching to VisualHub's basic AppleTV setting. When I convert to .MOV I can't do artwork through iTunes so I use MetaX, but that program has ruined so many of my files. It crashes a lot.

I want iTunes to be my all-in-one solution. So if i do that MP4's will never have 5.1 audio?

20. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

I use the "Apple TV" setting in VisualHub, and use MetaX to add the rating of the move (PG, PG-13, R, etc.) It has never crashed on me.. Weird.

And as for your wondering about converting to Apple TV.. I do for all movies/TV shows, and haven't noticed anything being wrong.

21. Benicio10 macrumors member

Do you know if I can ever get 5.1 sound without the Apple TV 5.1 preset that converts to .MOV?

Boy I wish iTunes allowed for custom artwork on .mov files. it's a boneheaded design decision.

22. RRutter thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it is very dumb - I'm not sure. Just try converting it to the regular Apple TV MP4, and see how she runs. That's what I do..

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Convert MKV (Plus others) to whatever using HandBrake Snapshot Build.

OP MKV is just a container for audio/video in HD or not, there is also MKA the audio only container.

24. mohanman macrumors regular

I like the handbrakes snap shot better than visual hub, but I've been noticing for the last few movies I converted, none of the appletvs will accept them? Its weird, it keeps saying this kind of file cannnot play on this kind of appletv, even though I haven't changed any of the settings.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind, I was using the wrong frame rate. Anyway, the handbrake snap shot does much better job than visual hub (my opnion), the blacks are much, much, much better.. no pixeling!

Edit 2: Nevermind, nevermind.. I like handbrake much better, except that it crashes almost with every other conversion!!!

Sucks..

25. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

My god use edit please, bumping a thread within 24 hours (Maybe more) isn't allowed if you were the last poster, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a Snapshot which doesn't come with support I found the best way to fix it though is to redownload an reinstall it.