Converting MKV to MP4 with Handbrake problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvelynW, Nov 9, 2011.

1. EvelynW macrumors newbie

Hello, I am trying to convert a 720P MKV (AC3) file to MP4 with Handbrake. It did the conversion smoothly but the converted video (h.264/mp4) is not intact. MP4 file picture looks great, but the sound is as if every other word is missing. BTW, I’m using HB to convert AVI to mp4 conversion works easily but why does it struggle with the mkv files?

2. EvelynW thread starter macrumors newbie

THX for your detailed explantion. I will give a try.

3. jason221 macrumors 6502

For converting mkv to mp4, use MKVtools or its new off-shoot MP4tools. Much faster.

4. EvelynW thread starter macrumors newbie

5. EvelynW thread starter macrumors newbie

@Marcie THX! my problem with handbrake seems solved, but the video and audio still are a bit out of sync. And ive tried squared 5 and macx video converter pro, they are nice and i like the output. I think maybe i should just those two instead of handbrake.

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Thank you I been having a problem with MKV for the last few months. Your solution worked.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

But MP4tools will not convert audio to Apple format. It just mux file into MP4. Am I understanding it right?

----------

For anyone that doesn't know, you should set anamorphic to none unless you're ripping DVD with anamorphic (for 16:9 TV). MKV file from Blu-Ray is not anamorphic so no need to set it.

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

No, you can convert audio too. It has preset tabs where you can select "iPad" etc. and it will tell you if you need to convert audio (usually to AAC 2.0).

9. Aullison macrumors newbie

Yeah, before converting, you'd better preset audio codec to make it most suitable for MP4 format. Or you should turn to a professional video converter, so that you don’t need to change any settings.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

merci.

11. jason221 macrumors 6502

Sure, if you want to wait hours for a completely unnecessary video conversion. The only difference between H.264 video in MKV and MP4 is the file container. The only thing that needs to actually be converted for iOS playback is the audio, which takes less than ten minutes in most cases. Is choosing an option in a dropdown box or two really that much of a hassle that you would rather use Handbrake, Evom, etc?

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not only unnecessary, but you will ALWAYS lose quality when converting video, no matter how high a bit rate you use, how many passes, etc.

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

May I suggest running it through Subler and seeing how that works? I haven't done many but so far all the TV shows I take with me on the iPad work great remuxed. The audio is adjusted properly too.

14. sally456 macrumors member

15. EvelynW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx @sally456 @Drag'nGT, actually my problem has been solved with @Marcie's solution, but anyway ill try Subler and MakeMkv to see how capable they are.

Thx for all u guys' answers!

16. Javalog macrumors newbie

Do you have a pro video converter to recommend? Thanks.

17. niub macrumors newbie

niub

18. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Subler is the most recommended as it's the fastest. iFlicks is also stated to be fast but in my tests, it turned out to be much, sometimes an order of magnitude slower than Subler.

If you don't need subtitle support, a lot other remuxers are worth checking out: MP4Tools, Smart Video Converter, AVIdemux etc.