Converting mov files for iPod

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mattrsa, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

Hi Guys

I have got an ipod video and want to convert some videos i download from a tutorial website so that watch them at the gym

so far i have tried to convert them using isquint and got the following error message

Error occured
    //tmp//filename.mov.wav: unknown format

then I tried using mpeg streamclip and tried to load the mov file and then create an ipod video in the other formats section and got and error saying

"cannot open movie"

I have also tried using final cut express to covert these files into other formats and then coverting them to ipod compatible video but the only time it worked the movie had video but no audio

can anyone help me with this?

thanks

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It sounds like you might not have actually downloaded the video files, or may not have downloaded them correctly. Once you have the video files saved to disk, disconnect from the internet (and double check that you're really disconnected by trying to open a webpage) and then try to play the saved move using the quicktime player.

3. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

i have def downloaded them conrectl as I have had them on my mac for months and been watching them regularly but now when i come to convert them they just don't seem to want to convert properly even tho i can play them fine

any other ideas?

4. SELFsponsored macrumors newbie

5. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

thanks

I will give that a go and see how I get on

Matt

6. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

just tried with tubetv and it did not work, just got an error,

any other ideas?

7. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Have you tried FFMPEG X?

Other than that I'm a bit confused as to why your message appears as "cannot read movie file //tmp//filename.mov.wav."

WAV is an uncompressed audio format, if the software (like iSquint) is designed to handle video, this won't work.

8. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

The best app I have found by far (and I have tried most of them) is cosmopod. It puts an extra button in Safari, you click said button with the movie page open, and it downloads, converts for iPod, and then drops the converted film into iTunes. It had the best flash converter i could find built into it. The free trial is really good as well so I suggest you give it a try.

www.cocomug.com

9. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

I tired using ffmpeg and it seems to have worked altho I don't have my ipod with me so I will not know for sure until I get home

Will update you guys then

thanks for the help