"converting mov to avi....ugh"

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

A client needs or wants AVI files b/c he's using Nero Movie Editor on a pc. I've asked him to check if that program uses .mov files considering i captured the tapes into FCP (figured I could just grab the transferred files and convert them).

I did try MPEG streamclip and FFMPEGX, but both created avi's that can't be read in my quicktime pro. Also, i tried playing them from the winblows peecee on a variety of programs with no luck.

Quicktime says the file is corrupt.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

When I use QuickTime Pro to convert the .mov files to .AVI files, they don't play in QuickTime but they do play in VLC...
    Hmmm....

3. doc james macrumors member

VLC is, for reasons beyond an idiot like me, able to work without codecs. Which is why it works when everything else fails. You need to find a compression codec which is present on both the mac and the PC. Two methods I've used:

1) The Sorrenson AVI compressor seems to be fairly ubiquitous.

2) Quicktime is brilliantly universal so why not do the conversion on the PC instead - install Mpeg Streamclip on the PC, give him the MOV files and then get him to convert them to AVI using whatever Codec he's got on his PC?

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

good points. I hadn't thought of him doing it, but the problem is that I told I could/would b/c i have done it before. it's just being a pain right now. I even tried ffmpegx, but i won't do just a plain avi....it has avi divx and some other options.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There's no such thing as "plain AVI," just like there's no such thing as "plain MOV." AVI and MOV are not video formats. They're just containers. They hold audio and video streams encoded with any of a number of different codecs.

6. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

ugh. i didn't explain myself. i meant there wasn't an option for just ".avi" as there is in Quicktime.

7. Poeben macrumors 6502

There used to be at least 6 or so utilities in the dock of our video computer to convert various formats... They have all been deleted and now the only one that resides there is VisualHub. Give it a try (limited demo available) and see if it works. For ~$25US it is a must have.